PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox ubuntu 8.04 bookmarks not stored in same place anymore

vermoos
May 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I upgraded to 8.04 and found that firefox bookmarks are now stored in sessionstore.js instead of bookmarks.html

bookmarks.html is still there in .mozilla/xxx.default but is not used for the same purpose: don't know if its used at all in 8.04 because bookmarks data is now saved in sessionstore.js

Anybody know a way of migrating urls from bookmarks.html to sessionstore.js, preferably without manual editing?

other than that small annoyance, ubuntu keeps on getting better and better (albeit slowly)

all unames are put in the fuse group now - handy if you use encfs to encode a partition

rock on ubuntu!

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM
You can still copy bookmarks.html to Firefox

vermoos
May 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
yeah - i know, the point is, when i copy bookmarks.html to the usual location, firefox does not pick up on them, because it now stores the urls in the .js file (mentioned above) and does not 'look' at bookmarks.html

easiest way around it i have found is to open my old .html file in firefox and search it, then migrate each bookmark one by one, but its not ideal

'instant email verification' is fantastic!

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I keep a copy of bookmarks.html in my /home, I then use Firefox>Organize Bookmarks>Import>Open. That's it.

DJ_Peng
May 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Firefox 3 actually stores the bookmarks in a database. If you have a file of bookmarks that you want to bring into Firefox 3 you can simply use Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Import HTML. You can get some more info on the new Places method of storing bookmarks from http://starkravingfinkle.org/blog/2007/05/firefox-3-bookmarks-on-places-lands/ and the links on that post.

vermoos
May 5th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks guys - works a treat; job done

i just can't get my head around how integrated ubuntu is, when you scratch the surface...