PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] choppy video and effects

jamesford
May 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
hi
wobbly effects and video, especially fullscreen are rather choppy in hardy, everything was fine in gutsy. see screenshot, that describes it best
otherwise things are just fine, cube rotates very smoothly but has noticeable clippings like on the screenshot. got about the same glxgears fps as in gutsy too

the problem is the same with compiz-fusion disabled (obviously got no wobbly then but if i drag a window across the screen i can see the same clipping) and also with video

im starting to suspect that its the nvidia drivers theres something wrong with ?

nvidia driver 169.12 installed via the hardware drivers manager, nvidia 7950 GT, amd64 x2 6000+, 1680x1050

theheadlessrabbit
May 5th, 2008, 03:21 AM
hi
im starting to suspect that its the nvidia drivers theres something wrong with ?

I'm having the EXACT same problem you have described, only my video card is an ATI Radeon.

Do you notice that some video formates are choppier than others?

I am having relatively good luck with raw uncompressed AVI files from my miniDV camera.

MPG files are quite bad, about 15 frams a second windowed, maybe 5 frames a second full screen. sometimes, they freeze and i have to skip ahead to the next one.
WMV videos are completely unwatchable, maybe 5 frames a second windowed, and really slow in fullscreen.

However, back it gutsy, i would sometimes get a diagonal bar going across the video during high action scenes, but only during full screen mode, i haven't seen that once in Hardy.

jamesford
May 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
this seems to have solved the problem for me if its any help to anyone http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4665012&postcount=2

theheadlessrabbit, i guess its not any help to you :( unless the compiz setting makes a difference