PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can not boot after trying to install Google Earth

glowplug61
May 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have just performed a fresh installation (except for the /home partition) of Hardy Heron.
AMD64 4400+ nvidia 6800 gt.

Post O.S. installs include netbeans 6.01 (Sun package with glassfish etc not Synaptic), MySQL 5 (Q.A + Admin from Synaptic) and a few other things that should not relate to the following.

Google Earth (downloaded from Google) install failed so I googled on the error message…
./setup.sh: 299: setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64/setup.gtk: not found
and found…
http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/d7bb6e1608cbf5fd

Installing ia32-libs FROM Synaptic, it failed with quite a lot of errors in the result list.
I apologize for not taking note of those however most of the text was out of scroll view and the system locked up.

Ctrl+Alt+F1, clicking etc did nothing so I finally resorted to the reset button.

Regular reboot locks up soon enough to freeze the progress bar.
Recovery mode stops at…

[ 44.570150] Kernel; panic – not syncing: Attempting to kill init!

I have the ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso burned to cd, running on win32 at moment but have 20g spare on fat32 to temp any linux image, files whatever.

Thanks in advance
Greg

glowplug61
May 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
bump
While I don't wish to be rude I simply can not keep wasting so much time this.

Is it worth, let alone possible to use a live cd to request something like "sudo apt-get update" (repair whatever) on inactive OS.

If not I at least be able to seriously restrict download and formatting with reinstall.

My partitions are /tmp, /etc, swap /home, /, /var

nanog
May 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
This guide should help you fix your broken install. It is not for the new user.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=306424

You installed two non-ubuntu packages. This often causes problems with a new release as changes are rolling in fast and third party packages (or source code) do not get updated as often.

In the future I recommend you use the medibuntu repository for google earth (and other nonfree packages):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

I also believe that the full java jdk is now available from the ubuntu repos. Make sure you enable universe multiverse etc.

glowplug61
May 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Double thanks for both the hd fix and Medibuntu reference.

Just to clarify I opted for the all in one Netbeans 6.01, Glassfish etc installer from Sun for cross platform convenience.
I can develop on Ubuntu then finish testing for IE7 on win32 then win64 all on one machine.

I appreciate what you are saying about non tested packages etc.
With that said the Ubuntu/synaptic solution has provided me with relatively up to date office, development and server software for almost 3 years if I remember correctly.

So again, thanks nanog and to those who make this possible.

glowplug61
May 5th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Okay, still get "Accessing a corrupted shared library" the same as recovery mode boot.
The fix hd thread only has sudo mount /dev/**** /media/hardy whereas I have 7 partitions for linux let alone all my ntfs and fat etc.
Just the same I have successfully mounted multi partition file systems for repair before and the 2 error messages are a bit of a coincidence.

Everything was working fine (including non synaptic netbeans) for around half a day before I tried to install Google Earth.
Even then the installer did not get off the ground - after which the system was still running fine for me to use Firefox, gnome-terminal, nautilus and a some other programs.

It was only after trying to Apply ia32-libs install through Synaptic that the system locked up and hasn't worked since.

Please don't get me wrong, I do not wish to complain I just expect that somebody will want the Synaptic ia32-libs problem drawn to their attention.

Again it is possibly unique to my hardware/driver and/or post OS installed software but I think my hardware combo is relatively common.

Okay, I'm off to reinstall, then check out Medibuntu again.