PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition HD

pwc
May 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
This is a general question about partitioning my hd for a fresh install of Hardy. I'm planning to install with the alternate cd on a 160 GB disk(sata). This time I will set up three partitions as "/", "/home" and "swap". With my present Gutsy it's the standard "/" and "swap"(I'm finally wising up after using Ubuntu since 6.04).
Most "How to's" say to allot only 5-10 GB for the "/" partition. But I'm planning on installing VirtualBox with XP as in my present setup. Now my question is: Won't the hd space for XP be taken up in the "/" partition and should I allot more space(say 20 GB) for it?

pwc :confused:

TenPlus1
May 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Usually I give Ubuntu's / partition 30gb for any programs that may need to be installed in the future... As for the swap file, that's typically the same size as memory available and the rest of the hard-drive for your /home directory...

VirtualBox uses a hidden directory in your /home partition/folder so it wont actually be using the / filesystem...

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yes. I have 20 GB assigned to '/' in a 500 GB drive.

pwc
May 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM
OK, thanks for both your responses, I'll go with 20GB and 4GB for swap. That will leave about 135GB for /home.

Thanks again,
pwc

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Good luck.