PDA

View Full Version : Close but no cigar

davbren
May 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hey, I'm really eager to see the new UI design for Ubuntu. I've just installed Aurora engine. I really like it, but still I'm missing the X-factor. When I first started using linux I had the then Beryl to keep me entertained, that was great. Now, although the novelty has worn off some, I am using it how its meant to be used (to increase productivity), It also looks real nice! lol

I've found the "Elemental" gtk icon theme, which to me is also really nice, I've also found an nice emerald theme which sets of the aurora theme. Even though I have all this nice stuff, I still seem to be missing that X-factor, its really starting to bug me!

Another thing thats started to bug me is nautilus. Again! Close but no cigar!

I was looking at a file managers' comparison page on wikipedia. It has so many features missing from it. So many of them are is KDE. its just unfortunate that I prefer Gnome *and* integration. We're in a world now where portable systems are key. The very fact that WebDAV isn't properly supported is a travesty. OK fine I can use ftp, which solves the problem well. OK so its not such a travesty, but if you offer the option I expect it to work. I know that Linux is always in development, but if you're shipping a product to the masses, and it has a WebDAV option, i expect WebDAV.

I don't mean to rant really, I know it probably doesn't help anyone... and I know the Linux philosophy is DIY, which is good in a lot of cases, but if you are a normal user, you can't. I spose I *just* about fit into that category. I can't really put my finger on what is missing in terms of aesthetics, but something is. If I was a better designer/programmer maybe I'd come out and do something about it.

Maybe through this thread we can come up with, and develop something....

Any thoughts?

Sef
May 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

davbren
May 6th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Has anybody tried webdav?

timcredible
May 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
i used webdav quite a bit in 7.10, it worked fine. haven't tried it in 8.04. when you go to Places->Connect to Server and pick webdav and put in the info, it doesn't connect?

davbren
May 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yh it doesn't work maybe I'm filling the boxes in rong, could you post a screenshot of how you've done it please?