PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] dmenu Package

ShareBuntu
May 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know how to customize dmenu? As soon as I install the deb package, it launches automatically on startup. I'm looking for the file where it's launched from so I can add arguments to it. Any ideas?

Diabolis
July 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I use the terminal for package management, downloading, writing, monitoring, and a couple other things. I use the GUI for browsing, media playing, spreadsheets, and chess.

For all GUI users who need an easier way to launch apps, check out dmenu. I discovered it when I used dwm, and now I can't live without it. It's in the repos. Install it and make a script with the following:
#!/bin/sh
$(dmenu_path | dmenu -fn '-*-terminus-*-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*' -nb '#000000' -nf '#FFFFFF' -sb '#0066ff')

Bind the script to your preferred key combo, and enjoy!

Don't forget to make the script executable

chomd +x script.sh

ShareBuntu
July 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thank you for the response. Any idea how to bind the created script to a key combo?

urukrama
July 26th, 2008, 11:21 PM
What DE and window manager are you using?

ShareBuntu
July 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM
What DE and window manager are you using?

Gnome and xmonad.

Diabolis
July 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM
1.- type this in the terminal:

gconf-editor &

A window will open that looks like a windows registry. Navigate to:
/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/

2.- Edit run_command_X, where X is the number of your choice. "Value" is the key shortcut that you want to use.
*Example: run_command_1 <Alt>F2

3.- Now navigate to:
/apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/
Edit command_X, where X is the same number that you choose before. "Value" is the command that you want to run.
**Example: command_1 $(dmenu_path | dmenu -fn '-*-terminus-*-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*' -nb '#000000' -nf '#FFFFFF' -sb '#0066ff')

Notes:

*gnome already uses the key shortcut <Alt>F2 by default, it works for me because I modified it.

**dmenu executed only if I pasted the whole command.
It wouldn't work by trying to execute the shell script, at least I couldn't. Maybe someone knows how to correctly execute a shell script from gconf-editor.

I modified my script so it is easier to read:

#!/bin/sh

font='-dejavu-dejavu-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-100-100-m-0-iso8859-*'
background='#FDFF00'
foreground='#000000'
selectedBackground='#0066ff'
selectedForeground='#ffffff'

$(dmenu_path | dmenu -i -fn $font -nb $background -nf $foreground -sb $selectedBackground -sf $selectedForeground)