PDA

View Full Version : How to tell people about GNU/Linux

NovaAesa
May 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm an active member of a small student forum for my university, and am thinking about starting a thread there to tell everyone about Linux. I know I could probably compile a heap of information about it myself to post up, but I was wondering if anyone has done this before so I could use their information instead of having to come up with the wordings etc myself.

So has anyone done a post before on another forum that tells about Linux and/or Ubuntu that I could use as a nice piece of copypasta?

billgoldberg
May 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
This site is great http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

I did a piece about it on my blog, but I don't like it and am thinking about starting all over next week.

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/try-ubuntu/

A piece of advocacy I do like is this screenshot post:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/screenshots/

It could persuade some people that care about "eyecandy" or "customization"

Paqman
May 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
It really depends who you're talking to. Different people will respond to different things. I'd say keep it as short as possible and make a few bullet points:

Super-secure. You don't need antivirus/antispyware/firewall
Comes pre-installed with firefox, email, IM, office suite, torrent client, etc.
Free of charge
Free and friendly tech support from this forum
You can keep Windows and dual-boot
Wubi makes installation very, very easy
Compiz Fusion is sexy (link to some videos)
You get a free update every six months
Everyone else is doing it!

Don't flood them with info, people hate being lectured at. Let them ask the questions, and then provide the answers.

drascus
May 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Well as others have mentioned there are sites that explain this pretty well. Of course if you use your own wording it will come off much more geniune. I have been told that I go about it the wrong way all the advertising from the angle of Freedom and Ethics. However I have found personally that this method has been more effective. I really like the title you gave this post and please when you tell people about it call it Gnu/Linux. Because even if you don't advertise the ethics of it if they Google Gnu or Gnu/Linux they will find out about the ethical issues and that is important. We have to make it about more then the technological advantages other wise people will say "I can't install this or that program on here this is just inferior" If they understand the aspect of Freedom they may say "I don't care if I can't use that program I'd rather use software that respects my Freedom". This recording might help: http://http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html#CURITIBA I must warn you I haven't watched it but the title seemed rather informative.

NovaAesa
May 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the posts, I will follows your suggested links and start compiling some info. If anyone has more links, the don't hesitate to post them.

@drascus, excellent stance regarding freedom. Freedom/ethics is one of the main reasons I use Linux rather than a propietary option. I probably won't focus on it that much when it comes to compiling my thread though. In my experience, most people (and by that I mean established Windows users :P) aren't particularly concerned about it and I don't want to put anyone off.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
introducing someone to *nix/ubuntu with a "why linux is better" attitude will get you nowhere (i'm referring to that link billgoldberg posted). don't come across as a zealout no matter what OS you're using. it doesn't make the community look good.

aysiu
May 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I hate it when people hype up Linux.

Please don't make it sound as if it's a cost-free and worry-free version of Windows. Be very sure to explain how it is different from Windows and what problems they might encounter if they try to install it and configure it themselves on possibly incompatible hardware.

And maybe just start off by introducing some quality open source Windows programs?

klange
May 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
There was an article on Linux Journal on how to "make people love Linux" (http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/how-make-people-love-linux). Read it.

philipuknovice
May 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
It really depends who you're talking to. Different people will respond to different things. I'd say keep it as short as possible and make a few bullet points:

Super-secure. You don't need antivirus/antispyware/firewall
Comes pre-installed with firefox, email, IM, office suite, torrent client, etc.
Free of charge
Free and friendly tech support from this forum
You can keep Windows and dual-boot
Wubi makes installation very, very easy
Compiz Fusion is sexy (link to some videos)
You get a free update every six months
Everyone else is doing it!

Don't flood them with info, people hate being lectured at. Let them ask the questions, and then provide the answers.

So super secure you dont need anti virus or rootkits, but just in case you do, they are freely available.

Comes pre-installed with IE6, Email & IM.

Win XP Free of charge, cus I swiped it, and found a WPA crack that works.

Friendly tech support from this forum ??? You ask a question stating your hardware, and hope someone of a VERY nice disposition can give you a definate answer, rather than just a "Maybe this will work"

You can keep windows, might as well, you were daft enough to pay for the O/S.

Wubi, Wubi, who the hell is Wubi ? Is he the local tech guy ?

Compiz aint sexy, its resource hungry rubbish that shouldnt have been installed by default. Just have been left in the repos, and everyone have the choice, rather than have it thrust on you.

You get a free update every six months !!Oh wow yo sold me linux.

Everyone is doing it ? Some call MS and tell them that they actually have zero percent of market share, and that Ubuntu not only has 100 % market share, but also of the Linux distro sector.

philipuknovice
May 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Dont sell linux, tell people they need to get their hands dirty and use the command prompt, and that at the moment not all software is supported, plus a lot of wireless cards dont work natively and need ndiswrapper etc.

Best to say that if they want to try linux, then give then the 3 top live discs, and ask they try them to see if it grabs their attention.

I personally think if you over do the "I love linus and want to marry it" then people may be scared off a bit.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
There was an article on Linux Journal on how to "make people love Linux" (http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/how-make-people-love-linux). Read it.

from the article:

How We Make People Hate Linux:

By telling people how much their Windows computer sucks.

good article and totally true. thanks for the link WindowsSucks

original_jamingrit
May 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
What I used to suggest is: Don't tell people that Linux is Windows. Linux is a Windows alternative, not a replacement.

But if you have a good set of hardware, and someone to help you get started (show you how to set up wine, etc;,), Ubuntu probably is just as good as a drop-in replacement for windows. I say this with no exaggeration.

Joeb454
May 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
If they're reluctant when you say "it's a little like Windows, but different"

Then shove KDE 4 under their nose and say "zOmG!!1! hae yoo seen da noo windows?!!1"

I'm sure they'd take to it then ;)

*NOTE* I'm not trying to bash KDE - it just reminds me of Windows :)

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Make sure people have space to ask questions and post comments too. That's the best way to advertise: it's the "mass effect" !

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
If they're reluctant when you say "it's a little like Windows, but different"

Then shove KDE 4 under their nose and say "zOmG!!1! hae yoo seen da noo windows?!!1"

I'm sure they'd take to it then ;)

*NOTE* I'm not trying to bash KDE - it just reminds me of Windows :)

yeah, that's it. shove something that's still very beta under their nose. they'll love linux.

Eisenwinter
May 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Make sure to tell them that Linux is NOT Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm), just like others before me said. But this link will help you explain WHY, in a better way.

Joeb454
May 4th, 2008, 07:05 PM
yeah, that's it. shove something that's still very beta under their nose. they'll love linux.

It's not THAT bad - Vista is pretty average (with Aero enabled)

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM
It's not THAT bad - Vista is pretty average (with Aero enabled)

kde4 is pretty buggy and i used it in both opensuse and kubuntu less than a month ago.