PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Using New Themes in Ubuntu 8.04

green_earth
May 4th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Friends,

I still consider myself a novice in Ubuntu, though Ive had 7.10 and now 8.04 on my five year old laptop. Since it's not my primary use comp, I'm still not proficient in Linux.

I want to use a different theme than Ubuntu's human - I've grappled with this in the past, and don't understand GTK1, GTK2, Metacity, Compiz, Beryl, and so forth. There are lots of great themes available at sites like gnomelooks.org - can someone teach me a little please about how to use these cool themes - can it be done without opening the terminal and having to know some code...

Many Thanks!

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
To install gtk 2.x themes just download the tar.gz from gnome-look.org and drag and drop into the themes section. Some appear in the main list others are available only through "customize". Beryl is "emerald" themes. You need a compositor like Compiz-Fusion to use emerald I believe. (unlike gtk, emerald is only the window titlebar themes). To install emerald: if compiz works for you just install the "emerald" package through synaptic, and then reboot. You can install the .emerald themes through the emerald manager. Good luck and if you need any clarification, I will be happy to oblige.