PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .AVI help !

b_d
May 4th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Hey all. Over the past few days i have been trying to get my .avi movies to work and they wont :( I have anime in avi that works fine but none of my movies will. I have been using VLC,xine,kaffine,Mplayer,Totem and none have worked or have even been able to tell me what i need to do to make it work. I have for the last few days been downloading codec packs in futility. I would LOVE some (more) input from u all :D

ty

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Pretty much the end all is this package:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Although you may want to make sure the files are right as I assume Vlc should play them.

file /path/to/file.avi
That above command should give you basic info about the file.

b_d
May 4th, 2008, 06:49 AM
ty :) still no good though... even tried VLC in wine lol. can u convert movies to some other file type without sacrificing quality? really dont want to have to do this for my MASSIVE collection but i soppose i will if i must.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM
There should be very few reasons why they wont work. I assume the files might be broken. I can play any avi file I encounter so far.

Sukarn
May 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
ty :) still no good though... even tried VLC in wine lol. can u convert movies to some other file type without sacrificing quality? really dont want to have to do this for my MASSIVE collection but i soppose i will if i must.

VLC (apt://vlc) is available for Linux as well. Just click the name to install it, or open up Synaptic or Add/Remove Programs and look for vlc.

akshat1991
May 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Have you tried the codecs in Medibuntu repositories.
The url is medibuntu.org. I dont know if it has any codecs other than the official ubuntu restricted extras package but maybe it will work

b_d
May 4th, 2008, 07:43 AM
thanx guys... still no luck though. the files themselves are working in other computers they are all dvd rips by aXXo(all hail aXXo) Totem says "could not determine type of stream" VLC just runs about 10 seconds of nothing .. and the other programs all have their own hellishly cruel error messages blocking the nothingness behind it. but i have anime in AVI format that runs perfectly fine.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM
That sounds like incomplete files, perhaps some sort of copy/download error.

Sukarn
May 4th, 2008, 07:56 AM
thanx guys... still no luck though. the files themselves are working in other computers they are all dvd rips by aXXo(all hail aXXo) Totem says "could not determine type of stream" VLC just runs about 10 seconds of nothing .. and the other programs all have their own hellishly cruel error messages blocking the nothingness behind it. but i have anime in AVI format that runs perfectly fine.

Hmm... sorry, I can't help out there then, but I have a couple of aXXo rips and they're working fine here.

omicrondelta
May 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hmm... sorry, I can't help out there then, but I have a couple of aXXo rips and they're working fine here.

Yar... No probs here...

fibster
May 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Remove totem. If you have followed all else above, then remove totem. Mplayer and Vlc play just fine.

Good Luck Mate

tacutu
May 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
if you installed the restricted extras (and perhaps also the win32codecs) there is no reason mplayer can't play them. I _never_ found a file I couldn't play in linux.

Sukarn
May 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I _never_ found a file I couldn't play in linux.

Well, I think I could help you out with that then. I've got some high definition wmv files, the video of which is playable, but the audio gives a codec error. I've also got the same problem with .3gp (mobile video) files.

Some other .wmv files give me some problems with video, some frames being skipped, but that's not a big deal.

Here's a link to an example .wmv high definition file (its the first trailer of GTA IV) - http://media.rockstargames.com/flies/trailer1/1280x720.zip

Granted, these are .wmv's we're talking of, and they're microsoft's format, but still, its a format I'm unable to play correctly.

tacutu
May 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
plays juuust fine here...
Is the music by Philip Glass?

[edit] i used mplayer, as always. It reported:
Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
Opening audio decoder: [dmo] Win32/DMO decoders

Sukarn
May 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
plays juuust fine here...
Is the music by Philip Glass?

[edit] i used mplayer, as always. It reported:
Opening video decoder: [dmo] DMO video codecs
Opening audio decoder: [dmo] Win32/DMO decoders

Then it might just be that those codecs are not properly supported on 64-bit. I've got the w64codecs package installed.
mplayer (which is what I mostly use) gives me "cannot find codec for audio format 0x162."

Output of mplayer when running the above mentioned file -

Requested video codec family [wmvvc1dmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffvc1] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg M$ WVC1)
================================================== ========================
================================================== ========================
Forced audio codec: mad
Requested audio codec family [wma9dmo] (afm=dmo) not available.
Requested audio codec family [wmadmo] (afm=dmo) not available.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x162.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound

and then the video plays fine, but no audio.
I'm using the mplayer from the official repository.

totem gives me -

** Message: don't know how to handle audio/x-wma, wmaversion=(int)3, bitrate=(int)384000, depth=(int)24, rate=(int)48000, channels=(int)2, block_align=(int)16384, codec_data=(buffer)1800030000000000000000000000e00 00000
and then just hangs

To the OP: Sorry to have taken this offtopic.

b_d
May 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
thanks for all the help guys..it seems that all the movies i downloaded on xp which i stored on many external hard drives will not work. I have been downloading axxo movies since he started uploading, and i have just about every one. i downloaded one yesterday "Teeth" with my new hardy and it works fine.. seems that the hundreds of movies i downloaded with xp and transfered over will not work.

tacutu
May 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
so what exaclty happens when you try to play one of these files in mplayer?

Sukarn
May 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
thanks for all the help guys..it seems that all the movies i downloaded on xp which i stored on many external hard drives will not work. I have been downloading axxo movies since he started uploading, and i have just about every one. i downloaded one yesterday "Teeth" with my new hardy and it works fine.. seems that the hundreds of movies i downloaded with xp and transfered over will not work.

Could you post the output of the terminal when playing the files in mplayer?

so what exaclty happens when you try to play one of these files in mplayer?

Is that question aimed at me or at b_d?

newb1788
May 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hi there,

This may help, I'm not sure. I have had the same problem as you- comes up with stream error- it was working before I updated from the live updater. I hadn't upgraded to 8.04 though. I am trying it now

It might work- I'm afraid I am no tech kid. Would appreciate it if anyone comes up with a proper fix

Good Luck

newb1788
May 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Updating to 8.04 worked for me, I had very similar issues to yours sounded.
I am using Totem now and everything works with it
Good luck

Dieter@be
June 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Then it might just be that those codecs are not properly supported on 64-bit. I've got the w64codecs package installed.
mplayer (which is what I mostly use) gives me "cannot find codec for audio format 0x162."
(...)
To the OP: Sorry to have taken this offtopic.
Exactly the same here... do you have any updates on this?
since b_d's problem is solved I don't mind hijacking his topic :)

Sukarn
June 6th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Exactly the same here... do you have any updates on this?
since b_d's problem is solved I don't mind hijacking his topic :)

No. I'm still having the same problem on hardy. Maybe we should start a new thread on this topic.

citybird
November 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
switched to VLC and videos with that strange green vertical line and weird colors are back to normal.