PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hi i am new to ubuntu so i just thought i would introduce myself.:)

kevin11951
May 4th, 2008, 06:19 AM
well then, whats your name, have u used Linux before, what was your previous OS?

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:20 AM
my name is zane i have not used linux before and my previous OS was xp

i am the noobiest of all noobs

swoll1980
May 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Hello ):P

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM
hello

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Welcome, good sir. Hopefully you are enjoying Linux enough to stick with us.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome, good sir. Hopefully you are enjoying Linux enough to stick with us. its really confusing but i hope to learn to code and contribute to the ubuntu project ^_^

FuturePilot
May 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome! :)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
does anyone have any tips i should know?

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Yeah. Use KDE. :popcorn:

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah. Use KDE. :popcorn:
KDE? you lost me

To Google and away

MasterNetra
May 4th, 2008, 06:43 AM
does anyone have any tips i should know?

Hi! :) Yes use Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Instead of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy).

Don't change root ownership from stuff unless you actually know what your doing.

So what kind of user are you? (Casual, Gamer, Developer, etc)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:45 AM
hmm the install directions are mindblowing @_@

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Hi! :) Yes use Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Instead of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy).

Don't change root ownership from stuff unless you actually know what your doing.

So what kind of user are you? (Casual, Gamer, Developer, etc)

kinda hardcore gamer/dev :P

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
K desktop environment. It can be used on Ubuntu or you can install Kubuntu (Which is Ubuntu with KDE. Ubuntu uses "Gnome" by the way.) Personally I find kde far better, but then again that is me. :popcorn:

http://www.kde.org
http://www.kubuntu.org

tip for now do not use kde4.3 use 3.5 which is the default Kubuntu.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM
K desktop environment. It can be used on Ubuntu or you can install Kubuntu (Which is Ubuntu with KDE. Ubuntu uses "Gnome" by the way.) Personally I find kde far better, but then again that is me. :popcorn:

can i install kubuntu with ubuntu already on my pc?

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Two ways. You can make more room for fresh install Kubuntu. Or you can install the package: kubuntu-desktop. If you do the latter after it is installed log out and you can choose gnome or kde at will under the sessions menu. It is as easy as that. Now you have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu with no performance detriments. :D Enjoy.

MasterNetra
May 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM

tip for now do not use kde4.3 use 3.5 which is the default Kubuntu.

Aye but you still got to remove the gnome + Ubuntu Desktop enviroments before you can use the Kde + Kubuntu Desktop enviroments. Otherwise simply installing kde desktop enviroment will only give ya its Login Screen.

can i install kubuntu with ubuntu already on my pc?

Well yea... How do you have it installed? Is it a clean install on a partition or is it installed as a Program on Windows? If its a clean install then you could pull out some free space and create another partition to install it on. But frankly it would be better if you sticked to one. Idk about the windows install i haven't played with it.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Two ways. You can make more room for fresh install Kubuntu. Or you can install the package: kubuntu-desktop. If you do the latter after it is installed log out and you can choose gnome or kde at will under the sessions menu. It is as easy as that. Now you have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu with no performance detriments. :D Enjoy.

thank you :D but once i get it is there a prog for linix i can use to burn the iso?

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
You can use both environments. I have KDE3 KDE4 and jwm installed. Easily switchable at login through the sessions menu.

Just run this command in terminal, no need for downloading cd unless you want to do a fresh install and remove regular Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
You will be asked if you want to use kdm or gdm during the process. I recommend kdm. Use tab to switch and enter to select the option. Do not close the terminal until the command is finished, then log out and choose a kde session from the menu at the login screen. Also if you get a question, like do you want to continue, answer "y".

Also for Ubuntu you can use Brasero or just right click the iso and choose to burn to cd. On Kubuntu you get k3b which is absurdly better than the previous two. ;]

MasterNetra
May 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM
You can use both environments. I have KDE3 KDE4 and jwm installed. Easily switchable at login through the sessions menu.

Just run this command in terminal, no need for downloading cd unless you want to do a fresh install and remove regular Ubuntu.

You will be asked if you want to use kdm or gdm during the process. I recommend kdm. Use tab to switch and enter to select the option. Do not close the terminal until the command is finished, then log out and choose a kde session from the menu at the login screen.

Also for Ubuntu you can use Brasero or just right click the iso and choose to burn to cd. On Kubuntu you get k3b which is absurdly better than the previous two. ;]

heh i wondered about switching the enviroment...the one place i didn't look XD

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM

You will be asked if you want to use kdm or gdm during the process. I recommend kdm. Use tab to switch and enter to select the option. Do not close the terminal until the command is finished, then log out and choose a kde session from the menu at the login screen. Also if you get a question, like do you want to continue, answer "y".

omg you are so helpful i love the ubuntu community ^_^

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Aloha):P
You will pick it up fast.
Tip, the Ubuntu forums are the greatest:guitar:

Ya, I installed Ubuntu and then Installed the Kubuntu-desktop from the synaptic package manager in system/administration/synaptic package manager then search Kubuntu-desktop. I like KDE much better too. Also, watch the videos 'Revolution OS (Linux story)', "CodeBreakers' and 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
also is there tuts on how to play games like say counter-strike 1.6 on ubuntu?

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM
i cant get over how cool this os is :P

MasterNetra
May 4th, 2008, 07:07 AM
You on a Desktop or Laptop?

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
i cant get over how cool this os is :P

Me too, it feels so grate to get from out under the thumb of Micro$oft doesn't it.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Me too, it feels so grate to get from out under the thumb of Micro$oft doesn't it.

yea but im not anti micro cause i have a zune and it is way better than ipod

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:11 AM
You on a Desktop or Laptop?

desktop (hopfully, soon laptop)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
brb gona load up in kubuntu :)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
reminds me of windows

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:23 AM
yea but im not anti micro cause i have a zune and it is way better than ipod

I agree I don't like ipod's ether. I don't like the idea about having to convert all media files before I can play them. That is why I got a Samsung YP-U3. Also, I'm anti Mac... to much $teve Job$.... They seem to do business like micro$oft and from what I under stand Bill Gate$ owns part of Mac. But, mac has given a lot of there OS to the Open Source community. I am probably wrong about Mac but it is late and I tend to rant when I am tiered.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:26 AM
ha! lol i just had 2 energy drinks so im suuuper hyper

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Gnome reminds me of Windows, oddly. There are other window managers as well, however Gnome and Kde are the major "desktop environments".

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM
no place like 120.0.0.1 >_>

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
ha! lol i just had 2 energy drinks so im suuuper hyper

I just found these mints "IceBreakers Energy" peppermints, each one has 10mg of caffeine.(coffee has about 60mg per cup) They are really good but don't eat to many.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Gnome reminds me of Windows, oddly. There are other window managers as well, however Gnome and Kde are the major "desktop environments".is there a site full of like effects for kde or gnome cause i saw some pretty cool ones like when you close a window it would burn up

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
ignore double post

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
That is called compiz fusion. It is a replacement window manager and compositor. Yes, you can use compiz on kde, there is a handy utility to install it on the latest Kubuntu.

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM
is there a site full of like effects for kde or gnome cause i saw some pretty cool ones like when you close a window it would burn up

Go to applications/ add/remove and search for compiz then check the box for advanced desktop settings... or something like that. I don't use them do to problem with my Intel GPU. What video card do you have?

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Go to applications/ add/remove and search for compiz then check the box for advanced desktop settings... or something like that. I don't use them do to problem with my Intel GPU. What video card do you have?

phh two raidion x300 i really need to get new ones

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
WHao the add/remove prog thing is a goldmine its like all the resources currently avalible but easier to serch through thats it i am offically linix proud :P

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Yes, I like that too. Hopefully it all works out for you. :popcorn:

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM
hm is there anyway to play retail games on linix?

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 07:56 AM
WHao the add/remove prog thing is a goldmine its like all the resources currently avalible but easier to serch through thats it i am offically linix proud :P

Ya, it dose make things a whole lot simpler then the window$ way of searching sites like freeware4pc.com for hr's. Or, installing a program only to find it is a 30day trial version so you have to turn the system clock back 10 years. However, there are even more programs in synaptic package manager. You can also download .deb (Debian) packages and then just click on them and they will auto install. You can also install the Debian Package search program. I think it is in the add/remove.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Playing games specifically designed to install on Windows is like playing Xbox360 games on ps3. It is not the fault of Linux at all but the game developers that refuse to make a port to our OS. (I blame Microsoft monopoly)

However. There is a program called Wine, that is installable from the add/remove. It will run many windows games and programs natively in Linux, frankly how they accomplished that is beyond me. It is not perfect, but very nearly so for most games. Check the wine app database to see what works and what does not. Also make sure to run the wine configuration and use it to autodetect your mount points and sound device. (Just run through the tabs and configure at will, just leave anything you do not understand to the default or ask here for help.)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
...I...Frekin...Love...Linux

zmjjmz
May 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Depends on the game.
Erm, but you seem to have ATi Radeon cards, which will improve soon, (they released the drivers as OSS).
Providing the graphics card works, you can play most games from The Orange Box, I believe Halo 1 works, EVE online has a Linux version, Unreal Tournament does too, and Call of Duty works too.
If you're dead set on playing these though, I'd recommend Cedega, but it costs money (it's a subscription).
Quake and Doom also have Linux versions (native), and there are a bunch of fun games in the repositories (like Add/Remove, better referred to as gnome-app-install)
If you don't want to pay anything, you can install wine and look at winedoors (makes it easier or something), but be forewarned that it won't work as well as Cedega.
Also, turn off Compiz Fusion when playing these.
I recommend actually installing icewm and choosing it when you log in (in "Sessions") if you want to play games.
You'll have to manually edit the menus some, but that isn't hard and I can help you do it.

EDIT: Search for your game here: http://appdb.winehq.org to see if it works with wine (and by extension Cedega).
I still think that the video cards will be a problem...
And the Zune... have you looked into syncing it with Linux? I've heard you can't...

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
How ever, the arrogance of game devs still angers me

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Cedega, but it costs money.
hm suppose i could just pirate it?

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Yes, you can play retail games on Linux. Most of the Popular games have been ported over to Linux buy third party companies like 'Code Weavers'.

I was looking to see if you would have problems with your video card and compiz but I think I am looking up the wrong card. I was looking for the AMD mobile Redeon x300 but you have a desktop right?

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:05 AM
We are nearing a time where many may officially support us. That will become a real reality if Blizzard makes a Linux client for WOW or Starcraft 2.

zmjjmz
May 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM
hm suppose i could just pirate it?

It's subscription based, good luck.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM
We are nearing a time where many may officially support us. That will become a real reality if Blizzard makes a Linux client for WOW or Starcraft 2.
the thought of linux finally getting its recognition is good in a way but who says it wont just end up like windows (full of viruses)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Yes, you can play retail games on Linux. Most of the Popular games have been ported over to Linux buy third party companies like 'Code Weavers'.

I was looking to see if you would have problems with your video card and compiz but I think I am looking up the wrong card. I was looking for the AMD mobile Redeon x300 but you have a desktop right?

yes a dell(crap comp's)

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
the thought of linux finally getting its recognition is good in a way but who says it wont just end up like windows (full of viruses)

There are many threads on the subject and you should read them. The problem with viruses on Linux is that the virus has to run as root to do anything.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
lol i joined like 4 hours ago

iSplicer
May 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hey mate, if you have any problems, feel free to ask any helpful person here =)

zmjjmz
May 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Linux won't be full of viruses due to its UNIX-like security model.
Believe me, Linux is popular enough in the server market to encourage a ton of viruses, but there are like 21 viruses in total, only 3 of which Wikipedia found worth mentioning, not to mention most of them are patched out of existence.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
how do i take millatary time off kde?

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Linux won't be full of viruses due to its UNIX-like security model.
Believe me, Linux is popular enough in the server market to encourage a ton of viruses, but there are like 21 viruses in total, only 3 of which Wikipedia found worth mentioning, not to mention most of them are patched out of existence.yea thats what i like about linux and ubuntu since its open source, if a virus sprouts up there will be alot of ppl patching it

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Are you sure your video card is a radeon x300 all I get is a mobile card?

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
raidon

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
how do i take millatary time off kde?

Just right click and select the am/pm thing I don't remember exactly I am logged in gnome right now but look around. Also, the time will not change until you log out and log back in.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Right click the clock and choose time/date format and change it to:

pH:MM:SS AMPM
Remember to hit apply and then as hunter said, log out and back in.
Also you may want to go to System Settings -> Advanced -> Sessions: Then choose to start with a blank session, unless you want all the apps you were running when you shut down/logged out to come up again. (its a cool feature but I find it annoying)

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
woot wine works with soldat ^_^

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Have you installed VLC media player from ADD/Remove yet? It is all I use for my videos.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Right click the clock and choose time/date format and change it to:

pH:MM:SS AMPM
Remember to hit apply and then as hunter said, log out and back in.
Also you may want to go to System Settings -> Advanced -> Sessions: Then choose to start with a blank session, unless you want all the apps you were running when you shut down/logged out to come up again. (its a cool feature but I find it annoying)
thx

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM
hm i cant think of anything to do on ubuntu now :(

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
You can think of anything you normally use a computer for. Generally it is possible, and much freer. I recommend you try the game "Urban Terror". It runs native in Linux and is fast, and free. "modern" weapons first person shooter for online play. (You have to download and run from the urban terror webpage not add/remove) Installing is simple extract the zip and right click the iourbanterror for your type (x86 or x64) and then chose properties and check "run as executable". Then simple click the icon to start the game. "Get new list" in-game will show you the servers available. The game will run in gnome and kde, but I find it runs better in kde. (part of the reason I tried kde in the first place).

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Whenever I get bored I start looking for bit torrents. Like I said before the video Revolution OS (Linux Story) is really good. But, I know what you meen it is fun to set up the OS. Maybe set up the desktop like look for cool wallpaper and themes.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
i think i have a sense that i am bored because im tired (possibly crashing from the 2 energy drinks?)

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Sounds quite possible. It is 3:47 am here but I do not sleep nights. :popcorn:

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:49 AM
1:49 am here

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
it's 9:49pm here i don't sleep night on the weekends ether. I am a computeroholic. I am also learning Perl.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
the only thing keeping me up is the fact that ubuntu is possibly the greatest OS ever and there is a LOT of stuff to do with it

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:52 AM
it's 9:49pm here i don't sleep night on the weekends ether. I am a computeroholic. I am also learning Perl.im trying to learn C++

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Ya I was thing about learning c++ too. It seem that it would be best to learn c++ do to the fact that it seems all languages are based on C. But Perl is EZ'r to learn form what I have read. That is way I chose it. Also, Perl is Open Source.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I am going to try to learn python next although programming will likely only be a hobby for me. Glad you are happy so far, I assume it will stay that way. I was happy to wipe Windows since I only use native Linux games and programs anyway.

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
i never wiped my windows i installed it with windows

Ryukue
May 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
anyway im gona goto bed seeya

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I am going to try to learn python next although programming will likely only be a hobby for me. Glad you are happy so far, I assume it will stay that way. I was happy to wipe Windows since I only use native Linux games and programs anyway.

Python looked good too.... I also just use Linux native games but I rarely play games.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Night, and nice meeting you. Also no problem using wubi, I recommend it to people that have work pcs or do not want problems with grub or partitioning.

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I am all over the map with programming. I can write in perl fairly well... I meen I am still vary new but I can write little programs without a book now. My book shelf also has books about Java, Javascript, HTML, SQL, Python, and Teach your self C++ in 21 Days(But I have not looked at that one much at all). I like to look at source code and study it but I only write Perl.

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Night, and nice meeting you. Also no problem using wubi, I recommend it to people that have work pcs or do not want problems with grub or partitioning.

Nice meeting you too.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Thats pretty interesting. Programming I catch on pretty quick with but I never take the time to learn much.

HunterThomson
May 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thats pretty interesting. Programming I catch on pretty quick with but I never take the time to learn much.

I seem to learn it as if I always new it I am just being reminded of it.

I to wish I spent more time though....

zmjjmz
May 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Just so you know, use Kdenlive for video editing.
I believe the one in the repos is svn pre-alpha, but it's stabler than the previous beta one.
It's terrible in GNOME, for some reason it's not in gnome-app-install, but since you're using KDE I think you should be more or less ok (You can get it in Synaptic, but then it won't update the menus).