PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu while using an external monitor

fallingintoZero
May 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM
by now i have searched all over the internet and this forum, and have yet to come across an answer. so i'm posting now hoping someone can help.

i've come across and pages and posts about using external monitors on a laptop while using ubuntu. but none of the solutions are quite what i'm looking for. the monitor on my laptop is shot, so it doesn't work at all. my monitor lights up, but no image displays on it. that is the only reason i am using an external monitor. when i go to install ubuntu, everything shows up on the external monitor fine, but after the ubuntu splash page with the load bar finishes, it looks like it tried to switch display over to the laptop's monitor. when the external monitor is plugged in, the laptop's monitor doesn't light up at all. but after the screen with the ubuntu load bar finishes, the laptop monitor lights up, and the external monitor goes dead.

i tried booting up just in the live mode, and it does the same thing. i can hear the ubuntu load sounds, but nothing will display. i tried the fn+F5 key on my laptop, which is the control to switch display, and that doesn't help either.

does anyone know of any way at all, to keep display set to the external monitor? or is there any way to install ubuntu through windows, onto the partitions i have for it (i have kubuntu originally set up as a dual boot, but had to format, but the partitions are still there).

if it helps, i have a hp pavillion ze5500 laptop.

any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

fallingintoZero
May 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
one of my friends told me that i could probably put in a special boot command. anyone know if this is true?