PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft withdraws from Yahoo deal

akiratheoni
May 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Not sure if it's been posted, but:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/technology/04soft.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Microsoft said Saturday that it was abandoning its blockbuster bid to acquire Yahoo after the two companies could not agree on a price.

The breakdown in the talks followed a meeting on Saturday morning in Seattle between Microsoft’s chief executive, Steven A. Ballmer, and Yahoo’s chief and co-founder, Jerry Yang, according to a person briefed on the discussions.

At the meeting, which also included Yahoo’s other co-founder, David Filo, and Kevin Johnson of Microsoft, Mr. Ballmer increased Microsoft’s offer to $33 a share, but Mr. Yang said Yahoo would not sell for less than $37 a share, this person said.

Microsoft’s decision to walk away is the latest chapter in a three-month-old standoff that began when Microsoft made an unsolicited offer to acquire Yahoo in an effort to compete more effectively with Google in Web search, advertising and services.

Yahoo rejected Microsoft’s offer repeatedly, saying it undervalued the company. Microsoft at times threatened to lower its offer, originally valued at $44.6 billion, or $31 a share.

In a letter to Mr. Yang that Microsoft released Saturday evening, Mr. Ballmer said that it would not make sense for Microsoft to pursue a lengthy proxy fight. "Our discussions with you have led us to conclude that, in the interim, you would take steps that would make Yahoo undesirable as an acquisition for Microsoft," he wrote.

Mr. Ballmer said in a separate statement that Microsoft would continue to pursue its online efforts on its own.

"We have a talented team in place and a compelling plan to grow our business through innovative new services and strategic transactions with other business partners," he said. "While Yahoo would have accelerated our strategy, I am confident that we can continue to move forward toward our goals."

A Yahoo spokesman said the company had no immediate comment on Microsoft's move.

Microsoft's decision to abandon its bid is likely to raise questions among investors about the judgment of both Microsoft and Yahoo.

When Microsoft first made its bid, it said Yahoo was an important part of its strategy to take on Google. Its choice to withdraw, after threatening a proxy contest if a friendly deal could not be reached, may prompt its shareholders to doubt its resolve. At the same time, some Microsoft shareholders, many of whom felt that Microsoft should never have bid for Yahoo, may be relieved, and Microsoft's shares could rise on Monday.

But the breakdown in the talks is likely to send Yahoo's shares plunging and generate uncertainty among investors about the company's management. Yahoo has been exploring alternatives to Microsoft's bid, including a search advertising partnership with Google, which could lift its profits and perhaps its stock price, analysts say.

gsmanners
May 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM
So, Ballmer doesn't really feel like swallowing hand grenades?

Mateo
May 4th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Good, I'm excited about Yahoo's decision to expand their social networking aspect of the network.

SirThom
May 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
They were just talking about that on the BBC World Service. I didn't know that that was planned but I'm glad it didn't happen. Not that I'm a big Yahoo freak, but Microsoft would ruin Yahoo.
I remember when the yahoo categories were a powerful feature central to searches.
Hell, I remember gopher via a command line. Is gopher still up?

SunnyRabbiera
May 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Yahoo: i fart in your general direction you english kniggets!

jrusso2
May 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
They were just talking about that on the BBC World Service. I didn't know that that was planned but I'm glad it didn't happen. Not that I'm a big Yahoo freak, but Microsoft would ruin Yahoo.
I remember when the yahoo categories were a powerful feature central to searches.
Hell, I remember gopher via a command line. Is gopher still up?

Actually there are some Gopher sites still around and Firefox still has gopher client.

Most of the remaining gopher sites seem to be tied to university's

quinnten83
May 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Great,
now MS will focus on some other way to tie us down in DRM and work against software freedom. They will probably just try underhanded tactics now to destroy Yahoo and then swoop it up on the cheap!
I tell you Balmer is evil!

kenweill
May 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Based from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/may08/05-03letter.mspx

It's more like their proposal was being rejected by Yahoo than withdrawing it. :D
Just my opinion... :D

seatex
May 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that's been a great corporate buyout mini-drama so far. After Ballmer told Yang (Yahoo's CEO) "no dice", Yang starts getting heat from the major Yahoo shareholders for turning down MS's previous (and generous) offer. So now, Yang is saying they would still consider further offers/negotiations. But now, MS is telling them "no dice"!

:lolflag:

Chame_Wizard
May 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Serves them right:lolflag:

scouser73
May 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I work for Microsoft AdCenter in the UK.

Personally, I'm glad that Microsoft have pulled out of the deal. Microsoft are spreading themselves very thinly these days with various content providers & whatnot.

Google will always be the search engine of choice because it is in the publics consciousness.

P.s, I'm not bothered how Microsoft spread their wings, because I couldn't give a flying @&*£