PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] (Hardy) Blank Virtual Terminals (TTY's) & nvidia-glx-new

llama320
May 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I've got a problem that's been somewhat documented about switching to the virtual terminals via Ctrl-Alt-F(1-6). When I try this, I see only a blank screen.

I've searched through the forums and found a few how-to's that seem to solve the problem, but none of these fixes have worked for me.

Most notably, I tried the thorough fix on
http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=585454
which had me editing /etc/modules & /etc/initramfs-tools/modules along with /boot/grub/menu.lst...but to no avail.

I know that if I boot into rescue mode, I can see the tty's. In addition, I'm currently running the nvidia-glx-new driver, but when I tried installing nvidia-glx I could see the tty's but couldn't enable compiz.

I'm running on an HP Pavillion dv6000 with an nVidia Geforce 6150 Go card.

Hopefully there's another fix other than the above, because I so dearly miss my virtual terminals

I've attached my xorg.conf, if it's of any use.

llama320
May 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
*shameless bump*

mbradlcu
May 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I had this problem when using Option "NvAGP" "1" in the xorg.conf under card,, may have been "0" but switching from one to the other resolved the issue for me. hope it helps

llama320
May 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion
I tried adding the option but it didn't help

Though I'm a little new at this, I don't think my laptop's using an AGP..when i run lspci I can find my graphics card, so I think it's a pci device

On a side note, since the original post I've also tried taking out the "splash" line from /boot/grub/menu.lst, but to no avail

llama320
May 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
*another bump*

mykrob
May 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I had the same problem, found a bug reported at nvnews. Fixed it by manually installing the nvidia driver 100.14.23

llama320
May 13th, 2008, 01:10 AM
it worked!!
I finally had some time to work on it
Thanks muchly, it was really bugging me :)

dmsynck
May 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Here are the steps I took to resolve the problem. (Nvidia 6200 card)

1. Turned off "desktop effects"
2. Removed Nvidia-glx-new through "Administration - Hardware Drivers"
3. Installed EnvyNG
4. Installed Nvidia 96.43.05 drivers
5. Re-enabled "desktop effects" and tested

Now I have all six tty's and the graphical desktop intact with Compiz effects(cube)

llama320
June 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Just a quick little addition: if anyone is having trouble with low resolution on reboot after manually installing an nvidia driver, check this thread out

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795997

enjoy