PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy x86 alternate CD doesn't recognize keyboard

armitage1337
May 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade one of my computers to Ubuntu Hardy x86, using the alternate install CD. However, when I boot up the CD, the keyboard is not recognized. I've never had this problem with an Ubuntu CD/install before, and I've been using Ubuntu on this computer since Dapper. It's a ~6 year old HP Pavilion desktop, using a PS/2 keyboard. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

armitage1337
May 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Any ideas? I still can't figure out what's going on. When I boot into Gutsy on the computer, everything's fine. But the Hardy alternate CD won't work.

rosciol
May 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I've got the same problem with the alternate install CD for Hardy; my keyboard works fine in Gutsy and after the Live CD for Hardy initializes (but not in the first screen for selecting language). I can't use the alternate install CD because of this problem, which is making it very difficult to set up any of the more advanced options I'm hoping for.

Any ideas what might be wrong? I poked around in my Bios for any relevant USB settings, having seen that someone solved it by disabling legacy USB support, but no BIOS changes helped me out so far.

Thanks.

armitage1337
May 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Well, since this computer is old and I can't use the Ubuntu Live CD, I instead used the Xubuntu Live CD, which had a timeout, and that allowed for X to load, in which the keyboard worked. I was able to install it that way, and it's working fine now. I just left it with XFCE for now, but you could definitely just remove xubuntu-desktop and replace it with ubuntu-desktop, if you wanted to.

daemmon
May 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
after upgrading to gutsy my keyboard stopped working - i downloaded the live-cd and got the same problem. my solution was to change the keyboard layout to another language, by modifying xorg.conf from under windows

armitage1337
May 7th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Could you change it back after that and still have it work?