PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with MBP's wireless.

cksubs
May 4th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm using:
Ubuntu 8.04
Macbook Pro Generation 2 EDIT: "MacBookPro2,2"
Have access to a wired line, which works correctly.

I need major help getting my wireless working. I've followed the steps outlined on the wiki, the first step of which is:

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake

but this cannot find the package. Is it gone, or somewhere else now? What should I do? Why doesn't this work correctly out of the box?

JCasper
May 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Goto administration > software sources > and enable the cd as a source. This downloads it off the cd. I had the same problem.

Only thing is, I still can't get wireless to work.

cyberdork33
May 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Goto administration > software sources > and enable the cd as a source. This downloads it off the cd. I had the same problem.

Only thing is, I still can't get wireless to work.
no need to add the cd as a source.

just install build-essentials and continue from there. if a package is not found, don't install it.

cksubs
May 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Can you elaborate please? I really have no idea what I'm doing, so more explicit help would be great. How do i install build-essentials? And what must I do after that?

cyberdork33
May 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Can you elaborate please? I really have no idea what I'm doing, so more explicit help would be great. How do i install build-essentials? And what must I do after that?
The command
sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake invokes the 'apt-get' utility with root priviledges (sudo) and tells it to install "build-essential", "autoconf", and "automake". Just try installing ONLY build-essential (that is no 's' on the end).

sudo apt-get install build-essentialthen follow the rest of the how-to. If you run into other issues, just post back again.

cksubs
May 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Alright, installing only build-essential worked (after listing the CD as a source). But now I'm stuck again.

The snapshots URL in the next line of the wiki produces a 404.

Using the other method, with the "svn co ...." stuff gives me a "svn is not installed" error and tells me to "sudo apt-get install subversion," which of course does not work.

Next step?

cksubs
May 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Woooooooooooooo got it working. I'm not going to say I know how, but just re-opening Terminal every time something in the tutorial didn't work and trying it again seemed to do it.

russo.mic
May 10th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Are you trying to compile madwifi?

Just a hint, if you can't get madwifi working, don't give up. NDISWrapper is another easy to install option. there are plenty of how-tos on the forums.

If you can't get madwifi, repost here and I'll try and walk you through ndiswrapper should you be unable to find a clear howto.

Russo