PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 8.04 install/upgrade won't shutdown??????

Support the 2nd
May 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
EDIT: The problem happens while trying to logout, so I don't think it is a shutdown issue any longer. I still need help though.

I just upgraded to 8.04 yesterday and last night and this morning the computer will not shut down when I tell it to. It goes to a blank screen and sits there. I cannot switch to any of the terminal screens.

Any help?

Handssolow
May 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I currently believe that the failure to shut down is related to the way recent kernels handle ACPI functionality. At shut down with my 32 bit 8.04 Ubuntu but not my 64 bit, the processes are halted, I hear my hard drive park but I'm left to manually turn off the power.
I've seen several references in the Forum to people requesting help with problems that seemed related to ACPI, either failure to boot or shut down. I filed Launchpad bug #224268 but I don't hold out any hopes for an early fix.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/224268

Support the 2nd
May 4th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Is there a way I can go back to 7.10?
The problem is a bit different than I first explained. I just tried logging out and was presented with the same issue. So it is not really a shut down problem.

Handssolow
May 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Just a suggestion, have you experimented booting with an earlier kernel( as yours wasn't a fresh install of 8.04 but an upgrade)? Pressing ESC at the start of bootup should take you to the boot/grub/menu.lst file where you can select to boot with an alternative kernel. You might then find you have to reconfigure your video setup.

Greslore
May 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I think I had this same issue with my Dell Optiplex 745. It would hang whenever I tried to reboot it. I fixed it by editing my /boot/grub/menu.lst and added the parameter "reboot=b" at the end of the kernel line for the boot device:

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=bggg90d3-4d4d-40c8-b4d6-ee29777fb9bc ro quiet splash reboot=b
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
quiet

lesergi
May 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hi!

I have the same problem.

The problem is caused by KDE or XServer, because screen become black when I try logout, shutdown or restart from K Menu, I must push Ctrl+Alt+Del in order to force the reboot.

I'll submit this bug to launchpad.

Any idea?

EDIT:
The bug is opened in Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/220102.

The problems seems be in KDM and ATI Driver. The solution: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/220102/comments/10

EDIT2:
I try the solution but does not work for me. I'll wait for fixing.

lesergi
May 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
The solution is the next:

You must edit the file /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh.

The suggestion is to update the change by changing

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A$1*

to:

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/run/xauth/A$1*

Bye!

miciurin
May 8th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I do not know how did you figure it out, but your solution works. Finally we can have flawless shutdown with ati cards. Thank you for sharing:

to:

nix2ways
May 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my wife's machine and encountered the same no shut down problem.
lesergi - how you worked this out I don't know but it solved the problem!
many thanks.

lesergi
May 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
:) I make me happy to know that works for you, but I don't deserve your thanks, I only saw it in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/220102/comments/14 :mrgreen:

Greetings to all!

huck416
May 16th, 2008, 11:56 PM
The solution is the next:

to:

Bye!

Yes this did work for me using kernel 2.6.24.16. Now it will shut down although I'm still seeing networking errors and CIFS VFS errors which slow the process down some. But thanks for the solution.