PDA

View Full Version : Best Converter from MP3 to Ogg? AoTuV?

Changturkey
May 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
what does the Ubuntu community think is the best Mp3->Ogg converter? I use dbPowerAMP currently with windows.

TeraDyne
May 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
what does the Ubuntu community think is the best Mp3->Ogg converter? I use dbPowerAMP currently with windows.

MP3 to OGG? OGG Convert or Audioconverter for Gnome, or audioKonverter for KDE. I personally use the latter.

Sqwishy
May 4th, 2008, 12:07 AM
If your using gnome I think it comes with a program called soundconverter. In Applications >> Sound and Video >> Sound Converter
If it's not there you may need to install it. Open synaptic package manager and look for soundconverter.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM
there a nautilus script in the repos that's the easiest. Just right click the file and convert the crap out of it

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 12:32 AM
lossy to lossy transcoding is never a good idea.

Ripfox
May 4th, 2008, 12:35 AM
soundconverter in the repos.

sstusick
May 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Audacity supposedly can do it with a plugin, but I've never been successful doing it.

Pathfinder_
May 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Converting from MP3 to Ogg will result in loss of sound quality.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
there's absolutely no reason to transcode mp3 to ogg.

tbroderick
May 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Of course there is.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Of course there is.

i'm waiting.

qazwsx
May 4th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Nope.
1. To reduce size for example. I trascode audio in my dvd rippings and recorded tv shows. I don't notice difference. (And if you are suggesting not re-encode mpeg2-videos you are wrong. It can be filtered to be better for human eye some cases. Usually quality differences are neglible even 1/3 sizes comparing MPEG-4/MPEG-2)

2. Some speech comedy samples I don't care hifistic quality at all. Those kind of file are usable at even 32 kbps.

3. To share content with person who refuses to use mp3 material.

Changturkey
May 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I know transcoding from lossy to lossy is not good, but I am not a big enough audiophile to really care. I want to find a encoder that will give me the highest quality Oggs, which I believe is AoTuV. I like ogg because it has higher compression at same or better quality.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Nope.
1. To reduce size for example. I trascode audio in my dvd rippings and recorded tv shows. I don't notice difference. (And if you are suggesting not re-encode mpeg2-videos you are wrong. It can be filtered to be better for human eye some cases. Usually quality differences are neglible even 1/3 sizes comparing MPEG-4/MPEG-2)

2. Some speech comedy samples I don't care hifistic quality at all. Those kind of file are usable at even 32 kbps.

3. To share content with person who refuses to use mp3 material.

"mp3" for most users is a compressed music file. to transcode to .ogg makes no sense since the amount of quality you would lose to save a measly MB or two is insane considering how cheap storage is.

reason #3 is bit silly. so someone refuses to use mp3's since it's not open source (reasonable enough) but are perfectly fine sharing copyrighted files illegally?

Iandefor
May 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM
reason #3 is bit silly. so someone refuses to use mp3's since it's not open source (reasonable enough) but are perfectly fine sharing copyrighted files illegally?Creative commons music does exist.

To the OP: I'd throw my hat in for soundconverter if you just want a quick and easy converter tool. It's in Universe.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 01:40 AM
oh, i know it exists, but we're talking about most users here.

Iandefor
May 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Oh, okay. I thought we were just bringing up potential use cases for converting to ogg vorbis.

Also, it's not all that uncommon to find someone unwilling to use an encumbered format like mp3 but who is willing to violate copyrights. I suppose you could say it's silly but a fairly common stance.

EDIT: Another use case which Changturkey reminded me of in the post below: Keeping your music collection smaller for a portable music player. A megabyte or two off every song adds up.

Changturkey
May 4th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I use ogg for my Samsung P2...

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
it is silly and unfortunately common. imo, it seems that most *nix users think that since their OS is free, music should be too, so it doesn't bother their conscience to acquire said music. people bitch about the price of proprietary software, but they're too cheap to purchase music legally.

*soapbox step down commencing*

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I use ogg for my Samsung P2...

i realize there are DAP's that offer .ogg support, most notably Cowon's offerings. really though, if you had the source material, you wouldn't need to transcode and you'd have a awesome .ogg

Changturkey
May 4th, 2008, 02:20 AM
If you read my earlier post, ogg is better for my situation because my P2 barely has enough space for my music collection.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 02:26 AM
...and if you read my earlier post you'd have a rebuttal to that very statement.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Copyrights are for the birds if I had a problem with copyright infringement I wouldn't even use Ubuntu, seeing as how most of the codecs needed for it to be functional are illegal in the US

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 02:33 AM
good excuse.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM
good excuse.

Excuses are for people that give a crap. I don't!

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 02:53 AM
i know!

tbroderick
May 4th, 2008, 03:31 AM
i'm waiting.

Because I and others want to. Period.

Changturkey
May 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM
...and if you read my earlier post you'd have a rebuttal to that very statement.

So, in my ignorance, or mighty and all knowing one, what is the best available encoder for Linux? And seriously, it doesn't matter to me if quality is lost, because space is more important to me right now.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Because I and others want to. Period.

*golf clap*

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 04:23 AM
So, in my ignorance, or mighty and all knowing one, what is the best available encoder for Linux? And seriously, it doesn't matter to me if quality is lost, because space is more important to me right now.

i couldn't tell you. i use my VM for windows and EAC>.FLAC then dbpoweramp pro>whatever i feel like, which is usually nero aac for when i'm not at home.

Changturkey
May 4th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Well this got me no where. I guess I'll use OggConvert or w/e. Thank you all.

SuperSon!c
May 4th, 2008, 04:33 AM
to be honest, if you're not going to hear a difference between your original mp3 to your transcoded .ogg, you certainly won't hear any difference between converters. just pick which ever is easiest.

K.Mandla
May 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Moved to Multimedia and Video.

Mud.Knee.Havoc
May 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
it is silly and unfortunately common. imo, it seems that most *nix users think that since their OS is free, music should be too, so it doesn't bother their conscience to acquire said music. people bitch about the price of proprietary software, but they're too cheap to purchase music legally.

*soapbox step down commencing*

All music should be free - or at least a reasonable price ($0.05 - $0.10 a track). Musicians should make their money by actually performing for audiences. Earn money by *working*? Revolutionary.

I'd love to pull the "royalties" scam on my boss. "I didn't do any work this week, but I did a lot last year and the year before - why don't you pay me for that?".

adityakavoor
May 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM
there a nautilus script in the repos that's the easiest. Just right click the file and convert the crap out of it

can you name it for us ?

Iandefor
May 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
nautilus-script-audio-convert.

Ripfox
May 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Nice. Btw, this nice fellow came here to find a good way to convert mp3 to ogg, not for a sermon on why or why not much less bringing up where he got his music...could be any number of things. I am a musician and I posted some of my tunes up for free on Download.com (no infringement there, see where I'm going with this?) and it is in mp3 format by default.

Ripfox
May 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Well this got me no where. I guess I'll use OggConvert or w/e. Thank you all.

soundconverter