PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu

datafiend
May 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hey guys, first time poster.
I have an old Celeron PC in my garage. I haven't used it in about 2-3 years. I want to get back into Linux and everyone keeps raving about Ubuntu. Well I want to use that machine. We're talking 256 meg ram, cd-rom, 30 gigs hd space. My question is can i use the 7.1 version and install on this old box? I am looking at getting the book"A practical guide to Ubuntu Linux" by Mark Sobell, but the disk is a DVD. I DO HAVE A PORTABLE DVD DRIVE that I take with me to work sometimes. Will that suffice? Could there be a problem booting off my portable DVD burner?

Thx for any tips.

Pumalite
May 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Try Gutsy Xubuntu Alternate CD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/7.10/release/

prshah
May 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, first time poster.
I have an old Celeron PC in my garage. I haven't used it in about 2-3 years. I want to get back into Linux and everyone keeps raving about Ubuntu. Well I want to use that machine. We're talking 256 meg ram, cd-rom, 30 gigs hd space. My question is can i use the 7.1 version and install on this old box?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu. I use it on a Celeron 1.6Ghz/256Mb/40 Gb/CDROM with no problems whatsoever. I also have it running smoothly on a Pentium III 500Mhz/256/20Gb.

If you have a faster celeron (1 Ghz+), then you can use ubuntu if you like, though I would stick with Xubuntu.

Rather than buy a book, is there any particular reason you cannot download the cd image?

datafiend
May 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu. I use it on a Celeron 1.6Ghz/256Mb/40 Gb/CDROM with no problems whatsoever. I also have it running smoothly on a Pentium III 500Mhz/256/20Gb.

If you have a faster celeron (1 Ghz+), then you can use ubuntu if you like, though I would stick with Xubuntu.

Rather than buy a book, is there any particular reason you cannot download the cd image?

I am buying a book cuz I like to have a reference available. I keep thinking that there is prolly enough documentation on the site, but one never knows.
i will look into XUBUNTU.

Thanks for the replys