PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Missing XFCE Panels on Install

beejaycee
May 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
On my older Compaq laptop, I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04. 8.04 seemed to be more resource intensive so I thought I'd try using the xfce desktop environment. If I remember correctly, I did "sudo apt-get update && apt-get install xubuntu-desktop". It installed fine but when I tried to log out of Ubuntu and into Xubuntu, I got a blue screen with about 4 icons. I uninstalled everything and tried again but got the same results. Next I used ALT-F2 to run xfce4-panel and then was able to add 2 panels which I then configured as best I could. But I would prefer to have the default panels with the default layout that SHOULD be present. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

blithen
May 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
On my older Compaq laptop, I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04. 8.04 seemed to be more resource intensive so I thought I'd try using the xfce desktop environment. If I remember correctly, I did "sudo apt-get update && apt-get install xubuntu-desktop". It installed fine but when I tried to log out of Ubuntu and into Xubuntu, I got a blue screen with about 4 icons. I uninstalled everything and tried again but got the same results. Next I used ALT-F2 to run xfce4-panel and then was able to add 2 panels which I then configured as best I could. But I would prefer to have the default panels with the default layout that SHOULD be present. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Try installing xubuntu-default-settings

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-default-settings

beejaycee
May 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks but no luck. Running "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-default-settings" returns "xubuntu-default-settings is already the newest version."

I read that for Ubuntu, to revert to the default panels (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4785823#post4785823), I could remove the .conf directory. Is there an equivalent for Xubuntu?