PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade woes

Trog
May 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Why is the Hardy install giving so many problems? Hardware that worked easily under Gutsy no longer works and the install doesn't do what it says it will. :(

Upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy and had the following problems:
Python2.5-minimal failed to install and had to be done manually.
Sound - clicks when moving windows, hisses, topping during playback
Network - Wired network constantly dropping out. The hardware was detected correctly and the IP configured through DHCP but it only connects for a few seconds. Sometimes, I have to reboot the router. Gutsy and XP work fine so it's not the hardware.

In the end I gave up and did a fresh install (thank god for backups) but that has problems too.
During the install, it took 2 attempts to get it to recognise that I had 3 Gutsy user accounts to transfer. It failed to transfer any of them and didn't import any settings from the XP partition (firefox and music). Luckily my home directory has it's own partition so that was sorted after install.
There is no provision to boot from a floppy (It's not listed) unless you know how to make the GUI partition tool do it.
Weirdest thing is that the network appears to be OK on the original accounts but the new administrator account is forever falling over. :confused:

I've used Ubuntu since Edgy and never had any of these install problems before.

I'm going to persevere though, as annoying as it is, fixing this stuff is so much fun