PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] mainboard works with WinXP not Xubuntu

sonichedgehog
May 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
(This is also on Linuxquestions as I have had even worse problems with a Debian install)
I am attempting to build a box based on 1999 Tiny with MicroStar MS-6178L/M Motherboard http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/...178/MS6178.htm , Intel Celeron 500mhz processor, 43gB HD, 256mB ram. History: rejected by work due to unspecified problems but worked here with clean install W98SE then WinXP. However I am changing my home computing to linux.

Some time ago, I installed Debian Etch using the original 16gB HD. Very slow, SMART test indicated prefails and old age so when I built another box I redeployed a well tested 43gb hd.

The Debian Lenny install barely worked- Gnome wouldn't load well enough to use. I decided to try a lighter distro, hence Xubuntu.

It takes 15/20 minutes to boot- when it does, almost everything works- exception- a fuzzy section of toolbar at the top of openoffice.org writer, makes no difference to the performance. Inexplicably logged out once. Overall, it seems very slow- there's not much HD activity (indicator light/sound of HD spinning less than I'd expect).
My theory: I had wrongly attributed earlier problem to the HD.

Using Xubuntu, I've almost got it working- so before I throw the mb & processor out, I thought it worth posting here.

Theories tried- jumpers? all OK. Tried some options, eg 15 heads, 32gB clip. IDE channel? switched around, no difference. IDE lead? replaced.

Looked at BIOS flash, I'll do it if I have to but it's risky and may be unnecesary. I know it sometimes fixes HD issues but the system can read this HD, albeit slowly- and I had the same problem with the HD that came with the mainboard.

I wondered whether the Ubuntu- style distros don't have a suitable HD module for this mainboard?

Hope you can shed some light on this. Thanks- Phil