PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question Regarding Virus Protection And Firewalls

Aleki
May 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
I'm rather new to Linux, in fact Ubuntu is my first OS other than Windows. What all do I need to make sure my new PC is secure? I have no clue as to what I need to keep this OS stable.

Any help?

p_quarles
May 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Please read the "Ubuntu Security" sticky thread at the top of this forum. If you any (more specific) questions after that, please ask here.

cpkoch
June 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM
OK .. What is a sticky thread? Are there any answers to the question that can be understood just by using plain language phrases like "yes" or "no"?
I looked all over for a sticky thread and am at a loss.

brian_p
June 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
OK .. What is a sticky thread? Are there any answers to the question that can be understood just by using plain language phrases like "yes" or "no"?

Yes. Maybe.

I looked all over for a sticky thread and am at a loss.

Post #2.

hyper_ch
June 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765421

and no, you generally don't need antivirus or twinker with any firewall.

kevdog
June 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I think a blanket statement stating you don't need a firewall is a little misleading. What role do you want your computer to play? If you are setting it up as a router that shares connections with mixed windows and linux boxes, then I would say use of iptables is definitely a plus. If you are using your box simply as a desktop replacement, then a firewall(iptables) is probably less important.

hyper_ch
June 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
that's why I said "generally" ;)

aysiu
June 30th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Yes, please explain a bit more what you'll be using Ubuntu for.

Will it be a server of some kind (web server, file server, mail server)?

kevdog
June 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Generally we would be in agreement. Hopefully the OP will provide clarification.

wbutchart
June 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I wasnt sure about firewalls so i installed firestarted im surprised as its only been on 20 mins and has already blocked 9 attempts and 4 of those it highlighted as serious. Doesnt that show there is a need for firewalls on ubuntu? esp as a may use it to shop online.

Barrucadu
June 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
No, because there are no services running by default that the outside world can connect to. Those 9 attempts will just be people scanning random computers for vulnerabilities.
You only need a firewall if running some form of server.

hyper_ch
June 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM
and even if you are running services you must ask yourself do you want them to be accessible by everyone (e.g. you normally want a webserver to be accessible by everything) and if that's the case, you don't need firewall eitehr... however you could for example blcok access for certain countries or stuff...

shad0w_walker
June 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
To my knowledge firestarter is a front end to IPtables, which is installed and running on Ubuntu and pretty much every Linux distro by default. You are now just able to see when it blocks the attempts, it's always been doing it, just quietly in the background.

kevdog
July 1st, 2008, 12:05 AM
iptables by default is running in the background, but is configured without any sort of rules -- so hence its like its not running since its not filtering or forwarding any traffic.