PDA

View Full Version : Check Out New Open Source Software Wiki Portal: Please Help Kenya

4joey1
May 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Hallo!My names are Mwangi Joe Irungu.I am a 23 year old Kenyan student studying at University of Nairobi.

Recently I developed an Open Source Software Wiki Portal(called Kenya Open Source Society-KOSS) to enable Kenyan Open Source enthusiasts to contribute and edit content in the portal just like in Wikipedia.Unfortunately,Kenya is a developing African country thus very few people actually use Open Source Software.This problem is compounded by the fact that even fewer Kenyans understand the concept of Wiki’s (whereby users can contribute and edit existing content in real-time).Thus,as you can imagine, the amount of contribution from Kenyans is extremely minimal.

KOSS is extremely hungry for information thus I am approaching you as the international community (who has volumes of Open Source Software information and resources) to contribute and edit existing content.KOSS is designed to be an encyclopedia for Open Source Software just like Wikipedia is an encyclopedia for general knowledge.

Since you as an Open Source enthusiast believes in the concept of Free and Open Source Software,the same belief should apply in providing free and open information to KOSS.You might even benefit from content presented by other users!

Please help Kenya(and indeed yourself) and let KOSS grow by leaps and bounds.As more content is added,Kenyans will be convinced of the need to participate in KOSS as users.The site is still very basic and upgrades will be implemented in due time.The KOSS URL is

http://kenya-oss.net/

There are some few contributions for instance the Open Forum Topic e.g.
GPARTED:Open Source Software Partition Magic Alternative
that can be accessed using the following URL
http://kenya-oss.net/pmwiki.php?n=Main.GPartedOpenSourcePartitionMagicA lternative
Please contribute content and tell others about it (so that they can also participate in KOSS) and Kenya and I shall be infinitely grateful.Thanks in advance.