PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Slow Output in Xubuntu (burning, ripping, ftp)

munkymac
May 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm running Xubuntu Hardy on my HP Pavilion ze2000 laptop, It's a fresh install, not an upgrade. Previously i was running Ubuntu Gutsy, but decided to start over with something that might play a little nicer with my machine.

In addition to the normal stuff, I'm running Compiz (which actually works for me on Xubuntu) and WICD, since network manager and my computer never get along.

I'm finding that things like ripping cds, burning dvds, ftp transfers and http uploads are significantly slower now. For instance, burning a 3gb data DVD last night (with Brasero) took a little over an hour, something that would have taken fifteen minutes in my old Gutsy install. Using Sound Juicer, I'm getting rip speeds of 3x-4x, wheras with Gutsy, it was 7x-9x. FTP transfers and HTTP (i use DivShare quite a bit) are slow as well, altho i don't have hard data.

This is the case whether i have Compiz turned on or off (i use Forlong's Compiz Switch script).

I read something about DAV, but it was an old post that seemed to pertain to Dapper and Edgy, and i didn't want to mess around.

Any suggestions?