PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] copy/paste: is this normal?

person8451
May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
If I copy something, (like, say, a line of code), while in Firefox, then close FF, I have nothing to paste. It just disappears. I have to leave FF open while I paste something.

This also happens with other apps, like if I write something in OpenOffice and copy it, then try to paste it in a blog or forum or something, I have to leave OpenOffice open or the text I copied will not be available to paste.

I don't know if this is normal for Ubuntu or if I am doing something wrong. I can work around it but it's a bit tricky getting used to it.

(Ubuntu 8.04, FF3b5, btw)

SunnyRabbiera
May 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
yeh I noted this, that is why I use the in built notepad application as a in between...
its just some unusual error, but annoying for sure.
I use tomboy personally

SIXAXIS
May 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I've noticed that too. It's weird but I just keep the window open until it's pasted.

rustutzman
May 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Get glipper! It's in the repositories. Takes care of this and more!

Russ

FuturePilot
May 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Unfortunately, yes that is normal. There's is something in the repos called Glipper which you can add to the panel which is probably about as close as you will get to a global clipboard.

avtolle
May 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Get glipper! It's in the repositories. Takes care of this and more!

Russ
+1

Oldsoldier2003
May 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
as said beofre its normal and is not a Ubuntu specific issue. Thats just the way that the clipboard works in linux. actually there are two clipboards. If you want to know more about it just google it and you can learn about primary :)

A cool trick that is very handy is using the middle button. try this: open gedit or a tomboy note or whatever... then highlight a line of text here, switch windows to the other app and click the middle button. Presto. Its a great timesaver that isn't immediately obvious to people that come from windows.

Glipper and Klipper are also nice workarounds, but after awhile you'll find that you rarely if ever use them. I don't even bother to install a clipboard manager anymore.

suprfish
May 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
as said beofre its normal and is not a Ubuntu specific issue. Thats just the way that the clipboard works in linux. actually there are two clipboards. If you want to know more about it just google it and you can learn about primary :)

A cool trick that is very handy is using the middle button. try this: open gedit or a tomboy note or whatever... then highlight a line of text here, switch windows to the other app and click the middle button. Presto. Its a great timesaver that isn't immediately obvious to people that come from windows.

Glipper and Klipper are also nice workarounds, but after awhile you'll find that you rarely if ever use them. I don't even bother to install a clipboard manager anymore.

Good read here: http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html