PDA

View Full Version : [other] Dell Ubuntu XPS M1330

open_coder
May 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
I was wondering it anyone here had tried out the Dell XPS M1330 Ubuntu laptop. I am considering a purchase and need some feedback. Does Dell provide drivers easily? I will probably remove the stock Ubuntu 8.04 and replace it with Kubuntu 8.04. Also, has anybody had any problems converting to another distro such as OpenSuSE? I am in love with KDE4 and will probly switch to the distribution with the most unaltered KDE4 environment.

My basic questions involve installing drivers for the M1330. I just want to know what kind of hassle I will be looking forward to when I wipe the stock Ubuntu to replace it with a different distro(Even an Ubuntu based one).

Thanks for the help,
Alex

prshah
May 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
I will probably remove the stock Ubuntu 8.04 and replace it with Kubuntu 8.04.

Just a suggestion; why _remove_ gnome (ubuntu).. a simple
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop will give you kubuntu as well as gnome, and if you login in with kubuntu it will remain on kubuntu till you change it.

open_coder
May 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Well, simply put, I dont want GNOME on my system. All the applications from gnome will clutter my system and take up space. I like to keep my system fairly lean. And unwanted packages waste space.

Also, as I said, I really like KDE4 and I will probly be switching to the distribution with the best KDE4 setup. So it would help me to know just how hard it is for drivers.

My basic concerns are wireless and bluetooth drivers.

markjensen
May 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM
According to this blog review (http://blog.higherthings.org/borghardt/article/3077.html) of the M1330, Dell uses NDISwrapper.

Don't know how "awkward" it is, since I don't use wireless (desktop Linux user here). As long as it works, I guess.

open_coder
May 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM
That really is weird.

I was also looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad T61. It comes with SLED 10 preinstalled. These are my two current options. The T61 is 50 bucks cheaper and has 14 inches. While the XPS M1330 is only 13 inches.

Has anybody used SLED 10? How does it compare to OpenSuSE? Also does anybody have any other suggestions?

Alex

enduser000
March 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hello,
I have a dell xps m1330 32bit and have ubuntu intrepid installed now. it works almost flawlessly. Trying to get the internal bluetooth going now, but the wireless and wired internet, the video, the sound, and the media buttons (except the eject one) worked out of the box.

After the updates, installing the nvidia 177 driver (for the nvidia 8400GS card) and messing with some settings (decorating and compiz) I can install wine to play warcraft 3, use the media eject button, need to change a few settings, but can now record things and use skype with the internal mics. the video has worked out of the box (installed cheese to play with it, works well with skype)

I prefer gnome because of the ability to customize it and the lack of preninstalled widgits and the presence of hotkeys. If there's something you think I should try in kubuntu I'd be happy to install it again and give it a shot. Dunno about dells with preinstalled ubuntu, but mine's workind fine.

enduser