View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tracker

sports fan Matt
May 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Is Tracker actually needed for the computer to function properly? Would there be any harm in completely removing it?

May 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Not that I know of.

May 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I've been wondering this as well. What is tracker really for? I can't seem to find a use for it...

sports fan Matt
May 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
It is highly annoying having it sit in my system tray...

May 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM

tracker is a desktop search facility. Once indexed your files - according to the settings you determine within applicatuin->utilities->tracker (or similar - I my system not in english) - you can quiet conviniently search for lost files, e-mails, media, whatever.

As consequence, I cannot believe, that you will be faced with any problems, if you remove tracker.

Hope this one helps,

May 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
You should be able to hide the system tray icon by right clicking it (I think). Mine is not there anymore because I told it to go away, but it is still installed on the system. Unfortunately I forgot exactly how to tell it to hide. In any case, you don't have to uninstall it, it serves its purpose (indexing is very convenient, and you would notice it was gone if you end up doing a search and find that it takes forever and ever to run).

May 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
tracker will index files and their content for search... so if you are rather unorganized you may have a need for tracker... if you are organized, you should know where you have what file and what info stored ;)

May 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
if you don't use tracker then just remove it.

i did, no problems here.

it indexes your files and allows faster searches. if you either have few files or don't search your computer very often then it is pretty much useless to you.

May 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I usually remove Tracker and replace it with Beagle, but you don't really need either.