PDA

View Full Version : In search of a presentation app lighter than Impress, to go with AbiWord/Gnumeric

sajro
May 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm setting up a light system and just started getting to the office software. I need a presentation application, but don't want to use the full 800-MB gorilla that is OpenOffice.org.

I'm replacing Writer with AbiWord (I don't need the more advanced features of ODT like tables; there's a PDF export plugin for AW) and Calc with Gnumeric. I don't need Math/Base/Draw/whatever else is in there!

Now, how to rid myself of the need for Impress to build presentations for school projects? Does anyone know of any full-featured replacement for Impress?

atomkarinca
May 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Have you tried KPresenter? I know it's a KDE application but still it's worth trying.

sajro
May 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Have you tried KPresenter? I know it's a KDE application but still it's worth trying.

I like KOffice, but I'm using OpenBox with fbpanel and such. Most of it is GTK+ apps, but with as little Gnome DE dependecies as possible. I want as little attachment to a specific DE.

I do, however, use KOffice for whenever I install a KDE system for someone. Its integration with KDE is better.

ssam
May 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
have you used LaTeX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX) before?

if yes then have a look at latex beamer. if not then it is a steep learning curve.