PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ati drivers break 8.04 fresh install

oranginator
May 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Title says it all, made fresh install, everything was working except 3D graphics. So I wanted to replace the mesa drivers with the Ati ones. After doing so, I reboot, choose the usual Ubuntu in GRUB and then the screen simply hangs. Backlight is on but nothing is displayed.

I tried doing it with EnvyNG and gave same results.

AMD athlon 64
ATI All-In-wonder Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800 Pro]

The effects are corrected by going into the Ubuntu recovery mode and running xfix. However, that just gets me back to square 1.

Thanks in advance :popcorn: for you.

korinzu
May 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM
P4 2.53ghz
Radeon 9800 pro R350 128mb

I get the same problem! When i use compiz effects, the screen gets really laggy, however when the same effects are used in windows, theres no lag at all?! im a complete nub on this...can someone plz tell us how to get the 3d graphics enabled and working smoothly, and also OpenGL doesnt seem to be functioning properly either.

oranginator
May 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Are there only two people on this forum with an ATI graphics card???

jonvel
May 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
At least you get to a point where the fresh install works :)

I've tried a fresh install (just the "try Ubuntu" option from boot up), and I don't get anything on screen. CTRL-ALT-F1 does get me to a text-login, but the X doesn't work at all, apparently.

This machine was sort of working with 7.10..

Sorry to hijack this thread - I'll start my own.

korinzu
May 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
>< yeah lol i guess so....

TadeoDiaz
November 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I was having issues with hardy and ATI Radeon 9800 pro and once I gave up with Hardy and installed Ibex everything seems to work fine. I've got a little lag with some compiz stuff but i've just had to take it since I haven't had enough time to figure it out.

I would definitely be interested if you guys found a solution to speed up the graphics to use all the compiz goodies