PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] laptop hard drive failure? It won't boot anything!

joe857
May 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I was watching a youtube video on my Hp pravilion laptop when I heard this kinda erie squeeking noise- I thought it was coming from my speakers, so I killed power to the machine. I sort of related it to this time when kubuntu froze so I tried to get out of it by opening a virtual console and jumping back into my GUI, but the screen went white and made this really creepy radial pattern in green that scared the crap out of me and made me think I broke my monitor. I killed the power that time and it booted up just fine. But now when I try to boot it, the hp logo that normally comes up doesn't. Something spins inside the computer for about half a second and then stops. I can't do anything- just turn it off and on. I also tried booting from a Xubuntu disk I had lying around, but nothing. I can, however, eject the disk.

Is my hard drive fried? Because I'm dead if it is. I need this laptop... the computer I'm on makes me copy and paste every time I want to type the letter "p". :(

jvilla1983
May 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ok.. I tired posting before... wrong topic.. I thought you had a hard drive failure

I would check online and see the failure rates of systems that are of that make and model. What you need to do next is probably find a new laptop. Sounds like a hardware failure. The reason that your cdrom still works is that the power that is given to your laptop is distributed via your power supply and not your motherboard. So, naturally it would spin and try to read it but no I/O is happening because your motherboard isn't working.

I think this might be it.. as I said.. check some other places and see if anyone else has the same problems as you. Because this isn't a Ubuntu problem.. this is actually a hardware problem, so with that in mind.. more people will be able to help you and determine what the issue is.

Thanks,
-JV