PDA

View Full Version : ESD Wrist Strap

intense.ego
May 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I am about to install some RAM in my laptop and I plan on using an ESD wrist strap I purchased. I have never used one before so I want to know how to use it. I know you have to connect it to some part of the computer, but considering this is a laptop, where should I connect it to?

PS: To any mods, if this belongs in another subforum, please feel free to move it there.

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
I am about to install some RAM in my laptop and I plan on using an ESD wrist strap I purchased. I have never used one before so I want to know how to use it. I know you have to connect it to some part of the computer, but considering this is a laptop, where should I connect it to?

PS: To any mods, if this belongs in another subforum, please feel free to move it there.

For laptops: Unplug it (duh). Remove the battery.

For the laptop, I never actually opened it to really see. Any metal surface should do that is on the laptop. (Be careful when handling the other module as well, don't touch it too much)

For a desktop, and metal part of the case works.

intense.ego
May 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
So, I just attach the crocodile clip to any metal part I can?

If I may ask, how exactly does this work (I understand it protects your computer by preventing electrostatic discharge)? Does it just take all the electrostaticity out of my arm and ground it slowly using the metal?

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM

If I may ask, how exactly does this work (I understand it protects your computer by preventing electrostatic discharge)? Does it just take all the electrostaticity out of my arm and ground it slowly using the metal?

It doesn't move the static electricity anywhere. It just make you and the object the same charge so you are electrically the same. It is the difference in charge that makes the difference.

Imagine two tubs (pools, whatever) of different volume and filled to some degree with water (they are not equal), using an anti-static strap is like putting a pipe between the two, so they equal out. The charges (pressure) is there, but it is equal so it doesn't cause a ESD.

Connect the clip to some part of the case, I am sure something is visible. Don't connect it to anything sensitive.

mips
May 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

Depending on your environtment you might not even need a esd strap. I have never used one before in my life and that was working on equipment costing about the same as a house.

intense.ego
May 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

Depending on your environtment you might not even need a esd strap. I have never used one before in my life and that was working on equipment costing about the same as a house.

Well, better safe than sorry, I suppose. Not to mention that I am not very experienced, so I may not be so careful and handle the stuff perfectly.

I remember reading you should do the installation on a floor not a carpet because of static electricity. Is there any truth to this?

ssam
May 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
i have one that has a mains plug with a metal earth and plastic live and neutral. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?C=SO&U=strat340&ModuleNo=12712 (its probably worth buying rather than making your own)

i have fitted ram without using it and never had a problem, but its better safe than having a broken computer. also it worth it for the reaction of my girlfriend seeing me plug my self into the mains.

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
I remember reading you should do the installation on a floor not a carpet because of static electricity. Is there any truth to this?

That kind of depends on the situation.

For mips, the climate is such that he seems to not have to worry about ESD.

I would not do it in my home in winter, with wool socks on the carpet, but that is because that is just inviting trouble.

You don't have to be overly paranoid. If you have gotten any shocks where you are, chances are there isn't much to worry about.

Technically, one doesn't need an anti-static anything, as long as one keeps contact with the powersupply/case. (One hand on it) This is awkward for anything other than basic tasks though.

gn2
May 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
If possible work in a room that does not have a carpeted floor.
I do my hardware work on the kitchen table, the floor is tiled.

Prior to touching the hardware and at regular intervals I place both hands flat on the stainless steel drainer.
I have never used a wrist strap and never had a problem due to static.

LO Matt
May 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM

It actually grounds your whole body. Your skin has a thin layer of moisture so it doesn't just ground your arm. Some electronic components are more sensitive to ESD than others. Some stuff will get damaged even if you don't feel/hear a discharge. I don't worry about straps for PC building, but if I didn't wear a strap for some of the stuff I work on at my job, I would be doing damage.

If you already have a strap, go ahead and use it. Better to be overly cautious.

whole.grains
June 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm about to build a PC, and although it's just a $200 barebone kit, I'd still like to be sure about ESD. As I understand it, ESD wrist straps just even out 'charge'(is potential the right word?) between you and the case it's attached to. So that's not going to matter when I'm unpacking the motherboard etc., before the install is it? Or should I get a mat that plugs in to the wall and attach the wrist strap to that. If I did that would I need an electrician to come out and make sure my apartment is grounded?

Please excuse my ignorance. :)

hessiess
June 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Just tuch a metal part of the case, use the antistatic bag the mobo comes in as a mat and hold components by the endges and you should be fine.