PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install problem on Laptop

spnoe
May 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
A friend asked me to advise him in respect to a`problem he has in installing Ubuntu on an old laptop. He says it installs the desktop and system but when he reboots he just gets the boot up sequence and a prompt. He does not understand what he has to do next.
I have a suspicion the system is not recognising his graphics card or monitor. He tells me he has a ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (Display adaptor) CTX 13.8 (Monitor).

Sorry that the info is fairly brief

I am no expert on Ubuntu and Linux, so as usual when I have a problem I turn to the forum. Can anyone advise?

Thanks. Steve

Bigtime_Scrub
May 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
A friend asked me to advise him in respect to a`problem he has in installing Ubuntu on an old laptop. He says it installs the desktop and system but when he reboots he just gets the boot up sequence and a prompt. He does not understand what he has to do next.
I have a suspicion the system is not recognising his graphics card or monitor. He tells me he has a ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (Display adaptor) CTX 13.8 (Monitor).

Sorry that the info is fairly brief

I am no expert on Ubuntu and Linux, so as usual when I have a problem I turn to the forum. Can anyone advise?

Thanks. Steve

I had a similar problenm with my keyboard when I first tried installing. First thing is to be sure your friend downloaded it from a torrent site. The ubuntu downloads here arent very good.

Then check the MD5 Sums for bad files on the ISO.

Burn the ISO at a very low speed.

When I went back and double checked all these things it installed clean and easy.

Try reinstalling it after doing all that.

spnoe
May 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I had a similar problenm with my keyboard when I first tried installing. First thing is to be sure your friend downloaded it from a torrent site. The ubuntu downloads here arent very good.

Then check the MD5 Sums for bad files on the ISO.

Burn the ISO at a very low speed.

When I went back and double checked all these things it installed clean and easy.

Try reinstalling it after doing all that.

Thanks Bigtime. It is not the disk, as he had a disk from Linux Format magazine and this has worked on other computers.