PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Clean upgrade but keeping home folder.

mr.propre
May 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hi

I'm thinking about upgrading in a few days but because I have a (small) driver issue that I cant seem to get rid of it, I'm thinking about reinstalling the system. On the other hand I would like to keep my original settings en my files.

I'm thinking about backing up my home folder to an external disk and after installing Ubuntu I would just move them back. However, I would also keep a few settings like my looks of my desktop, where can I find these? And would it be wise to backup my invisible folder in my home folder?

Thanks

rolnics
May 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
i have a separate /home and did a clean install and everything is like it was before the upgrade. Well it seems that way to me, a few things you have to run through, i didn't remember all the programs i had installed previous, but that wasn't a problem for me anyway.

like you've already said backup your /home to your other hard disk. do a forum search you could tarball your /home, if i understand and remember correctly that includes all your hidden stuff. i'm not 100% sure on that and how to do it, so have a check before you do anything else, i won't want you to loss anything.