PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 64 bit

katon
May 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
I have a question, if i buy a dual core or quad core processor that works in 64 bit like AMd or Intel , and i install Ubuntu / Kubuntu so am i WASTING the 64 bit of those processors ?
I understand that there are lot of programs that don;t run in 64 bit OS.

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Thats not the case in Linux. Most things are 64bit and if not 32bit programs can be run. If you have 64bit processor use a 64bit os. It is worth it.

katon
May 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
really?? so you can install ubuntu 64bit and then use programs that were built for 32 bit? and without problem? i thought it is a bit impossible..

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Yes its possible its called like x86_64 and I believe most 64bit processors have it. There is very few reasons to not use 64bit, and flash and java are not really a problem anymore.

FredB
May 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Windows is a nightmare for 64 bits. Linux is not anymore. And I've been using 64 bits distro for about a year... And they're far simpler to use than a year ago.

Java exists for 64 bits - using OpenJDK - so why bothering using a 32 bits distro on a 64 bits enabled hardware ?

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Agreed. Windows is the problem with the public opinion of 64bit. Well even Windows' 32-bit implementation sucks.

katon
May 3rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
so you can use the synaptic to install programs and 64bit OS knows to install only 64 bit ?

FredB
May 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
This is not a problem. As in free and open source software world you have access to source code, getting software for 64 bit is only a matter of building it with a 64 bits computer.

After that packages are going to repositories and you can have them without getting any headache at all.

katon
May 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
yeah....it is my problem...i hope i will be able to "compile" software whatever i want in the future.... right now i can't because i don't know a lot in programming and computers.....
but i think it will help me taking lot of courses of C programming at the university :) doesn't it?

FredB
May 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Well, I don't even know how to write a simple "hello world" in C...

And I can get firefox 3 development source code build every single day after making it up-to-date...

So :p

waspbr
May 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
hmmm, true,the 64 bit install is quite snappy and reliable, a great deal of the programs are available in 64 bits, however java and flash are a bit tricky. Okay flash works ok, with gnash, youtube works fine, but some times I cant play an specific flv file, this week's zero ponctuation was one.

I can't recall what java I have installed, I prolly tried sun's jre, and so far I can't visualize test applets, I will try another version and keep ya posted.

The last bug that I found was in wolfenstein ET, actually a few other programs, it's a 32 bit program, I manage to run it, but there's no sound, I have googled around and there have been other people complaining of no sound when porting x86 programs into 64 bits...

Despite all that I run my 64 bit partition 90 percent of the time, so my advice would be to go ahead try it out, but in case things get a little to complicated you might wanna consider keeping a 32 bit partition.