PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is this why I am having java problems

dstin1
May 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
In the about plugins it says I am using icedtea is this correct?

Michael.Godawski
May 3rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
IcedTea is available in Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), from the "universe" repository. What version of Ubuntu are you using?

To install the java plugin run this code in terminal

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-bin sun-java6-pugin

dstin1
May 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Upgraded to hardy been having problems with ff3 and java ever since. What I want to do is very simple play pogo but when I try to load a game I get a server error after the ad. I can kind of make it work with opera but is is slow. I also installed installed firefox 2 but I can't get java to work at all I don't know how to add the java plugin to the browser.

SunnyRabbiera
May 3rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
ah, hardy uses the alternate version of java (openjdk), so thats probably why you have issues.
you can get normal java in the repositories by going up to system, then to administration and then click on synaptic package manager.
after that go up to settings within synaptic and go to "repositories"
and make sure that all the repositories are checked off except the source code repository, and in the second tab make sure that all the third party repositories are checked off.
after that search for jre, REMOVE openjdk and replace it with normal java.

hope that works, I dont use pogo so your guess is as good as mine

Sinkingships7
May 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
I was having Java problems. Uninstalling the icedtea and java web starts and then running:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

solved my problems. Hope this helps!

alzie
May 24th, 2008, 01:20 AM
By following the directions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784384

I've been able to get Firefox3.0b5 playing at pogo using the
sun-java5-plugin

Most of the games now play well for me.

Hope this helps you