PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [help] can't switch user

benquick
May 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hi all, i had a problem with ubuntu 8.04 32 bit edition, i can't switch or login with any other user, every time i switching (fast user switching) or logging in to any other user, my computer always logged back to default user (user that i create when installation), i try to reinstalling system but i got same problem, anyone help me please.. to resolving my computer trouble

i trying to install hardy on the other computer and everything's gonna be okay

Patb
May 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Ben, have you actually created those other users? What is the output of:

ls /home/
Also, could you please start switch user from a terminal:

gdmflexiserver
That should put you through the switch user process. Log back as yourself and if there is any error output from that shown in the terminal, please post it.

Cheers, Pat.

benquick
May 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Thank's patb, i did your suggestions, and here the result:

bokura4@bokura4:~$ ls /home/
bokura4 ws4

bokura4@bokura4:~$ gdmflexiserver
bokura4@bokura4:~$

as you see, no error messege on terminal after logging back
any suggestion?

Patb
May 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Ben, that looks okay.

Can you log on as ws4 directly from a normal boot? Your original post indicates that if you try, it logs you in as bokura4. Is that what happens?

Also, could you post the output of:

cat /etc/passwd | grep "/home"

Terima kasih, Pat.

benquick
May 4th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Can you log on as ws4 directly from a normal boot?

No, i can't log on as ws4 directly from a normal boot, i only can log onto bokura4, and this is output of cat /etc/passwd | grep "/home"

bokura4@bokura4:~$ cat /etc/passwd | grep "/home"
syslog:x:102:103::/home/syslog:/bin/false
klog:x:103:104::/home/klog:/bin/false
bokura4:x:1000:1000:bokura4,,,:/home/bokura4:/bin/bash
ws4:x:1001:1001:ws4,,,,:/home/ws4:/bin/bash
bokura4@bokura4:~$

Terima kasih, Pat.

sama-sama, ben.

Patb
May 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Ben, thanks for the information.

It seems that you have just two users, bokura4 and ws4, and that for some reason ws4 is not being accepted as a legitimate user. At this stage, I would create a new user from a terminal:

sudo adduser <your_new_user_name>
and then log in as bokura4 and try to switch to that user. If that works, you could either try to re-add ws4 as a "legitimate" user:

sudo adduser ws4
or delete user ws4 (back up any useful files in /home/ws4/ first just in case):

sudo deluser ws4

If that works, please mark the thread as solved.

Terima kasih, Pat :)

benquick
May 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM
patb, thanks for quick reply

it doesn't work, i try to add new user from a terminal

sudo adduser client4 and then, i try to switch to client4 user, same like before, switch back to bokura4 user.
i know this not too important, coz i can use bokura4 user, but i guess... this a unique problem, i was reinstalling system for twice, should i reinstalling again?:confused:
when use a gutsy, i never found this trouble, but i like hardy, coz fast installation and more stable.
patb, sorry if i fussing you, thank you very much :)

Patb
May 5th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Ben, sorry but I am running out of ideas now. What you have done should have worked okay. I am lost as to what the problem is. If you have already installed twice, I doubt that a reinstall will do any good.

One thing I would like to check is permissions for each user. Could you please leave your new "client4" user there (or recreate it) and then post the output of;

ls -ld /home/*

sorry if i fussing you, thank you very much :)

Tidak masalah Pak. Saya senang menolong. Tetapi maaf, Bahasa Indonesia saya fairly rough. :)

Cheers, Pat.

benquick
May 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Here the output of:

bokura4@bokura4:~$ ls -ld /home/*
drwxr-xr-x 42 bokura4 bokura4 4096 2008-05-05 13:22 /home/bokura4
drwxr-xr-x 20 client4 client4 4096 2008-05-05 10:44 /home/client4
drwxr-xr-x 20 ws4 ws4 4096 2008-05-04 14:46 /home/ws4

:KS Terima kasih banyak

Patb
May 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Ben, that latest output looks fine. It is quite consistent with what I get on my system. From all you have posted I cannot see any reason for your problem. Sorry but I cannot think of anything else. I hope someone more expert can help.

Cheers, Pat.

benquick
May 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Patb, thanks for your attention, no matter if my problem can't resolved, coz I can use the default user, i only wondering why I can't switch user, thats all.
\\:D/ cheers, Ben.

benquick
May 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM
now after i check, check and recheck again, i know this problem happen after i installing vga driver (via), but i don't know why this problem happen on this computer, and the other computer (with the same hardware specification), everythings gonna be okay, hmmmm....:confused::confused::confused::confused:: confused::confused::confused::confused: