PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i split the packages being downloaded?

kshtjsnghl
May 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Hi
i reside in a college where we have got a network restriction which limits the size of the file to be downloaded.

Is there anyway i can split the files before it gets downloaded so that it does not cross the limit.

by the way the limit is 5 mb

although it seems quite unlikely

thanks

frup
May 3rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
Maybe you should talk to the admin of the network and see if they can make an exception for you? Cite computer updates as the reason, it's probably to stop file-sharing or something. Pretty draconian rule though.

tamoneya
May 3rd, 2008, 04:10 AM
i dont think there is anywhere you will be able to get files in that format from. I would look into trying to setup an encrypted VPN connection to some external computer(parents computer, or friend located at a different school). It may confuse your college enough to allow you to get larger files. I would seriously consider talking to IT at your school because that is a VERY outdated policy. I would think it would be very limiting to doing work. I am currently in college and I make files that are larger than 5 MB for school purposes and I have to send them to some of friends so that we can work on projects.

kshtjsnghl
May 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
hey actually i tried talking to the admin but till now there has been now consequences.

By the way many of my friends are using some proxybypassing softwares on windows but i dont of anything like this in ubuntu (without doin it myself through ssh command)

By the time the admin changes the rules i am getting my packages downloaded through my friends(who use windows) and searching for a way to avoid these network restrictions.