PDA

View Full Version : Social Network Help

RadiationHazard
May 3rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I'm really just doing this for fun. I've had some request that I add a myspace like part to my site and I think it's actually a pretty good idea. But unfortanetly I'm no where near skilled enough yet to write my own site that could even begin to compare with myspace/facebook. I would like it to be simple and easy to use. Have messages/comments/picture comments I'd like your profile to be customizable like myspace and just a over all simple version of myspace. Does anyone know of a free opensource or something that is easy to setup and comes like that once installed? I also need it to be free.

dwhitney67
May 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Good luck!

RadiationHazard
May 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Good luck!

are you just spamming or are you trying to tell me that I'm probably not going to be able to find something like that for free?

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
are you just spamming or are you trying to tell me that I'm probably not going to be able to find something like that for free?

I think the request is so vague that it is difficult to answer.

The last time I saw MySpace, it was an ad ridden monstrosity with horrible web design issues, and a confusing interface.

Perhaps you should clarify what you want, for those that do not use this "MySpace" (read: most people here hopefully)

Also, consider the fact this is a programming forum, so if you have requests for finding existing solutions that have nothing to do with Programming, another forum would be more suitable.

dwhitney67
May 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
I cannot recall where I saw/read a documentary concerning FaceBook, but the folks supporting it are not working for free. There are undoubtedly investors backing the project, and of course other revenue streaming in from advertising.

You are looking to circumvent the development (i.e. looking for something already coded up), and then looking to put your spin on it. Hence my goodwill gesture.

IMO, "social networking" ought to involve interacting and helping real people, not creating artificial worlds that allow one to pretend to be more than they really are. But that's merely my opinion. I'm not rich... and the original developers of FaceBook are. Perhaps I should shift my line of thinking. :confused:

RadiationHazard
May 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
I think the request is so vague that it is difficult to answer.

The last time I saw MySpace, it was an ad ridden monstrosity with horrible web design issues, and a confusing interface.

Perhaps you should clarify what you want, for those that do not use this "MySpace" (read: most people here hopefully)

Also, consider the fact this is a programming forum, so if you have requests for finding existing solutions that have nothing to do with Programming, another forum would be more suitable.

where do you think I should put this?
and sorry I figured that it would most likely be written in php which I thought was a type of programing but I maybe wrong because I don't know php yet. And as far as me using myspace just thought I'd let you know I'm 16 and I just use it for my band site. haha. but if you think i'd get more help in another section please tell me where i should move it.

and as far as the site goes like i said very simple. I want people to be able to register then like myspace have their own page that can be customized and a control panel where they can get send messages and they can leave comments and such on other friends pages. not really much more than that I don't want all the videos and apps and all that stuff that myspace now offers since they're more "high tech"(aka more glitchy and downtime. Kinda liked it better around when it first started coming out.)

ABX323
May 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
I think there are free bulletin-board software packages out there.
If you wanted to homebrew it, you could do it with apache, mysql, php and some html/css. The php would be the hardest part. I've heard asp is easier but I've never used it.
I'm no master hacker by any stretch and I made an interactive website for my brother-in-law's biz with a similar system.

dwhitney67
May 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
PHP is not that difficult. Of course, I come from programming background with C/C++, Java, and a wee bit of C#. PHP is trivial compared to these. The only thing that really blows about PHP is knowing (and observing) when to use a double-quote or a single-quote when embedding HTML code.

RadiationHazard
May 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM
PHP is not that difficult. Of course, I come from programming background with C/C++, Java, and a wee bit of C#. PHP is trivial compared to these. The only thing that really blows about PHP is knowing (and observing) when to use a double-quote or a single-quote when embedding HTML code.

yes, i've notice the quote thing when i tried editing some codes that my friends have made for you. And i look up to you now. haha. I wish i know even one of the programing languages that you do. I've tried learning java but it seemed rather hard to me? is it or did it just come off that way?

pmasiar
May 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
You host it your website yourself (I doubt), or you use some shared hosting? Ask your hosting provider which social site they support/recommend. From your questions it looks like serious lack of skills, you will need a lot of handholding from hosting provider.

Programming site like MySpace by yourself is out of question, it is **dozens to hundreds** of man-years of work by expert programmers. Get a free project suggested by your provider.

dwhitney67 said "Good luck!" because you will need it - a lot.

RadiationHazard
May 3rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
You host it your website yourself (I doubt), or you use some shared hosting? Ask your hosting provider which social site they support/recommend. From your questions it looks like serious lack of skills, you will need a lot of handholding from hosting provider.

Programming site like MySpace by yourself is out of question, it is **dozens to hundreds** of man-years of work by expert programmers. Get a free project suggested by your provider.

I'm host my own site on a server i set up on my computer?

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM

Programming a site like MySpace by onesself would likely result in something good.

I wouldn't call MySpace the work of expert programmers (even if experts coded it, I doubt they designed it). CSS in the middle of the markup? SQL injection?

pmasiar
May 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't call MySpace the work of expert programmers (even if experts coded it, I doubt they designed it). CSS in the middle of the markup? SQL injection?

Maybe I should say 'professional' - they did is as paid daily job. I have no clue what DB and language they use (IIRC they use MSFT technology - so they cannot be real experts :-) ) and would not bother to check HTML page source. But as publicly traded company, they have paid staff, admins, programmers and architects, something hard to copy in hackers hobby project.

Best choice might be to find a free forum or wiki software with most features. Twiki is very flexible wiki, with many plugins, but in Perl. MoinMoin is very nice wiki and plugins are easy to program (in Python). Zope/Drupal are said to be incredibly flexible.