PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Powering Down Computer Still Leaves Light and Fans going

TheDemonHell
May 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
When I hit the power button on the front of my computer or use the shutdown button under Ubuntu, it will shut everything off... but the fans and the light on the power button both remain on.

I have yet to install anything aside from the Limited Codecs to play MP3 and MPEG. I have a Gateway computer, I forgot which type and also do not know the computer parts names. I'm using 8.04, or the new one, if that helps any.

Thanks for any and all help

TheDemonHell
May 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Bump

Moop
May 5th, 2008, 05:07 AM
What happens if you unplug it and then plug it back in? Does it turn on without using the power button?

Is it the cpu fan that stays on?

TheDemonHell
May 5th, 2008, 05:25 AM
What happens if you unplug it and then plug it back in? Does it turn on without using the power button?

Is it the cpu fan that stays on?

CPU fan remains on, as does the lighted power switch after hitting the shutdown button in Ubuntu or hitting the actual button on the case.

Unplugging it then replugging the power supply, the lights and fans stop, but they don't turn on automatically, and it does not turn on without hitting the power button.

A thought, might it be the second hard drive? I have two hard drives as well, due to one being the forced backup of my Windows programs and files for when I need Windows.

Moop
May 5th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I don't think the hard drives would have anything to do with it unless it started when you put the 2nd one in. You could always unplug the 2nd hdd and then see if the shutdown works right.

Sometimes there is a bios setting that controls what happens when you use the power button to shut down. It wouldn't hurt to check that.

Your monitor shuts down but the pc runs?

TheDemonHell
May 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I don't think the hard drives would have anything to do with it unless it started when you put the 2nd one in. You could always unplug the 2nd hdd and then see if the shutdown works right.

Sometimes there is a bios setting that controls what happens when you use the power button to shut down. It wouldn't hurt to check that.

Your monitor shuts down but the pc runs?

Monitor I need to shut down by hand, which I'm used to. PC seems to run after I hit shutdown.

The hard drive was in there when I was using Windows, so I don't think it's going to make a world of diffence. I'll reboot and see if there is anything in the BIOS but I'll take a look and report back.

TheDemonHell
May 5th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Nope, nothing in the BIOS, but you were right, it was worth a shot.

TheDemonHell
May 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Any one else have any ideas?