PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Forum

kk0sse54
May 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
I am attempting to make a forum that would only be open to me and a few friends. Right now I'm trying to find a free forum hosting website. Whether it be phpbb, vBulletin, or something else I don't really care. Any suggestions?

-grubby
May 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Well if you wouldn't mind I'd host your forum, running either phpbb or mybb or some other free forum software. I don't belive there are any sites that let you have free vBulletin installs, though

hkgonra
May 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
imho , vbulletin is the best, but it isn't free.
My second choice would be Simple Machines Forum (http://http://www.simplemachines.org/).

kk0sse54
May 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Well if you wouldn't mind I'd host your forum, running either phpbb or mybb or some other free forum software. I don't belive there are any sites that let you have free vBulletin installs, though
Probably not considering i was just at their site and looking at their lovely price tag and me being the free/open source software enthusiast instead is now just looking for phpbb.

kk0sse54
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks hkgonra I'll check it out and nathangrubb about you hosting the forum I pretty much know nothing about web design and forums so if i can just get a nice website that will set it up for me That is all I'm looking for.

hkgonra
May 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks hkgonra I'll check it out and nathangrubb about you hosting the forum I pretty much know nothing about web design and forums so if i can just get a nice website that will set it up for me That is all I'm looking for.

I use Godaddy and it has SMF built-in to it's software you can run. Makes it SO easy !

-grubby
May 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM

meh, I'll install the forum for you

klange
May 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
For future reference: I've found, through both my own experiences and those of some colleagues, that the phpBB developers are rude and snobbish. Their support forum moderators are no different.
One of the reasons why I wrote my own forum...

kk0sse54
May 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
I checked out Godaddy but I would rather look for a free and easy alternative. Some people recommended http://www.freeforum.ca/home.php and http://upperboard.com/ubh/index.shtml, does anybody know anything about these websites or have used them before? And nathangrubb I really appreciate the offer but i don't know you so I'm sorry but I can't acccept your offer.

-grubby
May 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Well ok, that's fine with me. I also found this : http://www.forumer.com/

Dr Small
May 3rd, 2008, 01:54 AM
SMF is ugly, phpBB is horrid, and punBB is worse.

The only ones that really rank are Vbulletin and MyBB, and since the former costs money, the latter makes the best choice.

Dr Small

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 02:39 AM
The best FREE webhost is 000webhost.com. I got my FREE domain from co.cc. I used phpbb.

My forum if you wanna have a look: www.forumofrandomness.co.cc

Kingsley
May 3rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Go with InvisionFree.

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
SMF is ugly, phpBB is horrid, and punBB is worse.

The only ones that really rank are Vbulletin and MyBB, and since the former costs money, the latter makes the best choice.

Dr Small

What makes you think phpBB is bad? Please provide reasons. I use it and it works perfectly fine.

Dr Small
May 3rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
What makes you think phpBB is bad? Please provide reasons. I use it and it works perfectly fine.
Personal preference, I guess you could say. After using MyBB, phpBB seems featureless. That's just my opinion though.

matt79
May 3rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
I would also say InvisionFree.com I have seen the forums in action and they are nice.

kk0sse54
May 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies i really appreciate it but as to whether phpbb sucks or not it doesn't matter much as i just want something simple and easy to use. iSplicer i really like your forum so i think i am going to go that way and use 000webhost.com but I'll also check out InvisionFree.com see what it has to offer.
~thanks Cloud

Tux.Ice
May 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
SMF is really nice for an example check out techotech.com/NEW/forum

iSplicer
May 5th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks everybody for the replies i really appreciate it but as to whether phpbb sucks or not it doesn't matter much as i just want something simple and easy to use. iSplicer i really like your forum so i think i am going to go that way and use 000webhost.com but I'll also check out InvisionFree.com see what it has to offer.
~thanks Cloud

No problem, I can tell you more about it if you want. Although I suggest you use SMF instead of Phpbb, Im regretting choosing it. Ive heard SMF is great

SupaSonic
May 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
phpbb3 is nice, so you could try that.

Yikiwii
June 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
phpBB2 is your best bet for learning (IMO), it does not need linux, it has the largest database of add-ons and because of its already long lifetime, it has a massive and helpful user-base in its support forums.

Another reason to use phpBB2 is it will allow you to get to know the community.

Just try it out on this host : create forum (http://www.forumotion.com)

Hope this can help!

Kernel Sanders
June 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
www.freeforums.org

They have a fantastic reputation!

rugbert
June 20th, 2008, 12:54 AM
how would I go about creating the forums if Im hosting on my own box? Im running Ubuntu 8.04 server so I only have SSH access.

gameryoshi600
June 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Proboards (http://www.proboards.com/)

Dr Small
June 20th, 2008, 01:19 AM
how would I go about creating the forums if Im hosting on my own box? Im running Ubuntu 8.04 server so I only have SSH access.
Setup Apache, MySQL, Php and download your favorite Bulletin Board System, and then install it.

rugbert
June 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Setup Apache, MySQL, Php and download your favorite Bulletin Board System, and then install it.

Im saying is, how do I edit the content? with SSH Ill only have command line based control so Im thinking thats going to make it a HUGE pain.

Thirtysixway
June 20th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Most content on forums is available through an administration panel. The only thing you would need to do through ssh is change permissions on some folders/files, and possibly edit a config file. Then just run the install file via internet browser.

I would recommend phpBB3, it's more secure than phpbb2 and doesn't cost any money. It also looks very nice.

klange
June 20th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Im saying is, how do I edit the content? with SSH Ill only have command line based control so Im thinking thats going to make it a HUGE pain.

You could set up VNC if you wanted, but the easiest thing to do is install an FTP server and just copy files over. Do all your editing from your own machine. If you want to edit things from the site, get a CMS.

Dr Small
June 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
With SSH, it gives you full control. I don't see how that could be a pain. I work with SSH all the time, and it always gets my task done, simply.