PDA

View Full Version : What visual (eyesight) problems u have?

madjr
May 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
i got my first glasses at age 12 (even before i turned to a geek)

i only had trouble viewing things in the distance (am nearsighted)

but now i suffer from dry eye syndrome so i need eye drops and try not to read or stare at the screen too much (reading for long periods causes eyes to dry)

too much time in front of a screen produces computer vision syndrome:

"If you suffer from eyestrain, dry eyes, neck strain/backaches, light sensitivity or fatigue and work on a computer, you could be suffering from computer vision syndrome. In this video, an optometrist offers tips on how to prevent the condition."
http://uncutvideo.latino.aol.com/videos/b36e414cc134a526faa2454513537a16

luckily i use Workrave (in the repos)

http://www.workrave.org/screenshots/windows/gfx/rest-break.png

http://www.workrave.org/share/gfx/workrave-unix.png

i like workrave because it forces me to take breaks.

If you're addicted to watching TV, video games or using your PC for over 12 hours a day and your eye sight is just getting worse...

Then remember: there's always tomorrow to do the things you like.

remember you only have 1 pair of eyes don't over do it:

http://www.sightsavers.org/images/f_1244kannanmall.jpg

Note: the poll is multiple choice and leave a comment, tip or trick u use,

Acglaphotis
May 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I use glasses to view far objects. But it's not that bad ; ).

justin whitaker
May 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I think the default Ubuntu theme looks good. Is that an eyesight problem?

:lolflag:

SomeGuyDude
May 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
20/450 vision, I wear strength 6 contact lenses. Additionally, I'm red/green colorblind.

It's probably why my desktop is almost always black/white based.

karellen
May 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I use glasses to view far objects (I'm nearsighted) and I have glaucoma (or at least this says the diagnosis) so I must use special eye drops daily

rickyjones
May 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
I wear glasses. Well, technically I wear contacts now, but I still use my glasses at times...

Nearsighted. Sucks, but eh.

-Richard

ubuntu-freak
May 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
I don't wear glasses, but can only focus with my right eye.

Nathan

KiwiNZ
May 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
I think the default Ubuntu theme looks good. Is that an eyesight problem?

:lolflag:

No but it does show incredibly good taste :)

popch
May 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Left: short sighted and stigma
Right: long sighted and stigma (other direction)

Makes for some interesting glasses.

@kiwi: I haven't noticed that the theme has a taste, as well. (licking screen). It has not.

frup
May 2nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
20/450 vision, I wear strength 6 contact lenses. Additionally, I'm red/green colorblind.

It's probably why my desktop is almost always black/white based.

Are you aware then that your avatar has high amounts of red in it then?

A guy in my architecture course last year presented his project. All the A2 drawings were black and white except one which was this ghastly green. He was sitting there explaining his concepts extra so confidently and the whole class was looking at this one drawing incredibly confused. We found out he was red green colour blind and thought it was a grey! funny stuff.

Personally I have very good vision and don't need glasses. I do find though that if I am tired or dehydrated I can get funny blank spots or blurry spots in my vision which can really disorient me. Looking out the window I can make out individual pine needles on a tree 40 meters away.

ubuntu-freak
May 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
No but it does show incredibly good taste :)

+1

Agreed - I've grown to love it.

That was off-topic, so I will repeat that my left eye is a lazy bugger and has been since birth.

Nathan

regomodo
May 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
i voted need glasses to see far objects but i can't see anything sharply after 5inches.

Think my prescription was -7Diopter 'ish.

basically i'm blind without them.

skymera
May 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
Well my sight is good actually. I am only 16 at the mo though

Last time i went, 3 years ago i had 20/20 vision slightly longsighted, but thats normal due to my age. So says mr optician, i trust his word.

Last week i went for an eye test.
My dad saying "You spend a lot of time on computers, you going to need glasses"
I admit, i spend 80hours a week minimum at a computer.

Anyway i went for the test, guess what :D *better than* 20/20 vision still.
Staring at a PC monitor does not affect eye sight. FACT.

RazorEdge
May 3rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
Perhaps, but it's damn unhealthy. Cut back from 80 hrs FFS!

gn2
May 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
I have Amblyopia which is quite rare.
I'm 46 and have had it since I was a child, but only found out that there was a name for it last week!

I have excellent sight in my left eye and both together, but my right eye is very poor on it's own.

Ebuntor
May 3rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I'm nearsighted and my left eye has extreme Amblyopia, a rare variant (also sometimes called "deep lazy" for the lack of a better word), which is different from a normal lazy eye. I wear glasses, my left eye is -5 and my left is about -12 to -15. I have no dept perception and my deep lazy eye is partially active causing me to have double vision sometimes. I also have a very rare condition to a blood vessel on my left eye, when I was born my left eye was completely blood red but for some reason the blood vessel shirked and now it's partially back to normal. I'm one of 4 known people in the world with that condition. Because my right eye has to the work of two eyes its lens is quite "worn" and I get tired very quickly when reading, also I can't move my eyes in a smooth motion from side to side, only in a "shaking" fashion.

Skorzen
May 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
I use glasses to read and when using computer since June 2007.

skymera
May 3rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Perhaps, but it's damn unhealthy. Cut back from 80 hrs FFS!

Unhealthy. Unhealthy?
McDonalds is unhealthy, cheese is unhealthy.
Using a PC is not unhealthy.

And i cant cut back, i do a full time ICT college course 5 days a week.

I'd do anything to cut back

Skorzen
May 3rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
cheese is unhealthy

Why do you say that cheese is unhealthy?

madjr
May 3rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Well my sight is good actually. I am only 16 at the mo though

Last time i went, 3 years ago i had 20/20 vision slightly longsighted, but thats normal due to my age. So says mr optician, i trust his word.

Last week i went for an eye test.
My dad saying "You spend a lot of time on computers, you going to need glasses"
I admit, i spend 80hours a week minimum at a computer.

Anyway i went for the test, guess what :D *better than* 20/20 vision still.

at your age is natural, but in your twenties (22 - 26) you will start seeing problems. It may seem a long time but is not.

Your eyesight needs to last till you die, not till you end puberty. At 80 years old, you'll be bored too and want to use th PC or watch TV.

Teens suffer from the "there is no tomorrow" syndrome..

the problem is not 80 hours a week. The problem is 4 to 6 hours straight.

If you take a 10 minute break every hour and take a nap daily you'll be ok.

every human has self destructive habits. But if we modify those habits a bit we'll be ok.

I used to spend 80 H a week too and now am paying for it (and yes, like you my eyesight *improved* from 16 to 19). Am 26 right now, but i wished i had this info 5 or 10 years ago.

Staring at a PC monitor *DOES* affect eye sight. FACT:
http://uncutvideo.latino.aol.com/videos/b36e414cc134a526faa2454513537a16

Human eyes are not built to be forced too much daily. Most of our "modern" habits are totally unnatural.

Ophthalmologist have a bright future these days. There has never been so many eye problems/diseases in history of humanity.

Live and learn.

zmjjmz
May 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM
I'm pretty nearsighted, that's about it though. I wear glasses all the time, I don't want to have to worry about contacts too.

lunaz
May 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
I have glaucoma in both eyes, blind in left eye, 20/400 in right eye. :)

Can't drive but can still write code and play games...

regomodo
May 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM

It will when you are a child

rudihawk
May 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Uh, i have one perfect eye and one bad eye lol.

lswest
May 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Glasses (I'm nearsighted) but it's not bad, even though i spend hours and hours at my computer, my eyesight hasn't gotten much worse in the last few years, so lucky me :P

EdThaSlayer
May 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Sometimes however, I suffer from that eye problem you stated. Where after being on the computer too long, you can't look up at the sky since it will be too bright. Well, I'm a proud computer addict so no "workrave" for me! :lolflag:

chucky chuckaluck
May 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
outside of an arm's length, i still have 20-15 vision. sadly, inside that distance, i have the vision of someone who's 51.

sanderella
May 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Interesting thread.

I have been short-sighted since age 11. I have needed reading glasses for the last 10 years. I have astigmatism in both eyes and I have double vision. Fortunately I do not have cataracts, but no doubt I will get them, because everybody does eventually.:(

I wear contact lenses, reading glasses, distance glasses and one pair of glasses with prisms. I'm struggling to read this post now.

But when I get to heaven I'll have perfect vision.:popcorn:

Dragonbite
May 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
My eyesight went down around 2nd-3rd grade.

In high school through college I used contact lenses.

A couple of years ago, my eyesight was about 20/425 with astigmatism
(20/425 means that the quality people with good eyesight see at 425 feet is the quality I have at 20!)

Last year I tried OrthoK, which is the treatment where you wear a hard contact lens while you are sleeping. The lens reshapes the surface of your eye while you sleep (imagine the surface of your eye is like a mountain, with it peaking right through the center of where you are trying to see. The lens flattens out the top of the mountain.) Your vision through the flat top (plateau) is 20/20. While you are not wearing the lens, your eye slowly moves back to where it was before (so you have to wear it every night) so in 2-3 days you are back where you started from.

Unfortunately I don't close my eyes all the way as I sleep so my lenses get dry which lead to kentitis (sp?) and a whole mess of problems, so I stopped the program. That and even when my vision was good it wasn't as all-around good as regular contacts.

At my last eye exam my eyes moved from 425 to ~400 (left) and 375 (right)! My right eye is exhibiting signs that it did not return 100% to where it was originally. On bright days I can see out of my right eye with sharp clarity mixed with a halo-effect while my left eye is typical blurriness.

On very bright days I can drive familiar roads pretty well which still amazes me (going to the beach will be fun this summer).

Since I work on a computer all day that workrave may be a good thing. Does it come for Windows too?

Nolander
May 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I have one eye!!! not literally. But 4 years ago i had an accident involving wood chopping and because we were in the bush i didn't get to a hospital in time. So i lost all vision in my left eye.

~N

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I have been short-sighted since age 11. I have needed reading glasses for the last 10 years. I have astigmatism in both eyes and I have double vision. Fortunately I do not have cataracts, but no doubt I will get them, because everybody does eventually.:(

You mean "near-sighted" I hope, unless there is a difference in the meaing we you/I are/am.

I do have a problem with my eyes (severe, born with it) but I refused to wear glasses. Contrary to what the doctors said, my eyesight hasn't gotten worse, and is very good (so is my memory, "defpotec").

gedreosan
May 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I need my glasses to see things at a distance, but I pretty much keep them on all the time so I don't lose them.