PDA

View Full Version : [kde] atheros wireless running but not detected

Helminthe
May 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hi everyone,
I've just installed kubuntu 8.04 on a MacBook Pro, the wireless wasn't supported so I grabbed the latest release from madwifi.org, compiled, inserted the modules, and ran iwconfig + dhclient ath0
Now I am obviously running fine since I can post here, but KDE insists on reporting that I am not connected (the taskbar applet doesn't see ath0 at all) and konqueror refuses to open any page. Firefow is also set to "work offline" on startup and I have to uncheck every time. Is this a Network Manager issue? Any way to persuade it to see the new interface? Or maybe just uninstall it?

Helminthe
May 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone - first, sorry it seems I posted an Intel issue on a Power PC forum, second - solved: looks like the live CD didn't have all required packages. I'm trying to document what was needed to have a reasonable Ubuntu setup on my MacBook on my (low bandwidth) page (http://razvan.cosma.name/weblog/comments.php?y=08&m=05&entry=entry080504-181205): if/when I get to a decently edited text I'll publish the conclusions on the Ubuntu wiki.

Cheers

cyberdork33
May 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone - first, sorry it seems I posted an Intel issue on a Power PC forum
Actually, no it is both.

dsmoot
September 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Pardon my ignorance but I think I am having the same issue as you and I read your pages and I can't find the steps to fix the problem you refer to. I don't want to start from scratch, I'm mostly working. I just want KDE to recognize the ath0.

I've got madwifi compiled, inserted, configured, and getting a good dhcp address. But Konquerer does not seem to know that. And without Konquerer running, I can't enter my access credentials for the wifi access point I am on. I don't have a wired connection to work off of so I really need to know how to fix this.

David