PDA

View Full Version : What Os, are you using and why?

amyfan
May 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
i was wondering What Os, is everyone using and why. also why do they love the one they have or say ones they have....
me im using ubuntu gnome hardy 64bit....
i use it for everyday things surf the net and play games and music.
Feisty was my virgin breaker for me. was my very first open source distro. "god bless you feisty"

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 it's fast, secure, customizable, and just freakin' sweet overall

gareth_005
May 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I love Ubuntu, also started with Feisty and have now installed Hardy. Linux allows you to do so much more with the way you setup / configure your system. Once you get into Linux you realise that Linux does things simply and windows makes things look simple.
The only things that Linux is missing for me are GoogleTalk and SharpDevelop.

I still like Windows XP though, I have mine registered in VirtualBox now.

akiratheoni
May 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'm using hardy on my desktop, and gutsy on my laptop (haven't gotten around to upgrade or fresh install yet on there). I started with Dapper. I hardly remember actually starting with Linux, really, even though it was just a year ago. I don't remember the struggles with the command line (if any at all) or any sort of trouble whatsoever. I guess I got off lucky :P

seatex
May 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

This article pretty much explains the 'Why?'.

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/382946.htm

aaaantoine
May 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Surely you realize the responses are going to be a bit skewed.

I use Ubuntu Hardy 64-bit. I use it for web, email, web development, graphics design, instant messaging, and a variety of other interesting things.

Like you, Feisty was my first exposure to Ubuntu (and things have improved even since then). However, my first experiences with Linux came much earlier than 2007.

On my desktop, I use Windows XP Professional for PC gaming. Up until 2007, I've almost exclusively used Microsoft operating systems.

karellen
May 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Fedora 8 and Windows Vista

DirtyDawg
May 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Dual booting ubuntu 8.04 Hardy and XP,
considering going back to 7.04 tho as 8.04 wont change the
gfx setting properly like 7.04 did. Seems to be buggy and slow in my opinion, even firefox has issues with this build. :confused:

Barrucadu
May 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Arch

zcal
May 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Debian Etch - stability/reliability.

chucky chuckaluck
May 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
arch. i'm finally capable of installing only what i want, rather than using the strip method of getting things down to what i want.

rickyjones
May 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
i was wondering What Os, is everyone using and why. also why do they love the one they have or say ones they have....
me im using ubuntu gnome hardy 64bit....
i use it for everyday things surf the net and play games and music.
Feisty was my virgin breaker for me. was my very first open source distro. "god bless you feisty"

* Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit on my laptop (Will be upgraded to 64-bit this weekend.)
* Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit on my desktop at home (Will be upgraded to Vista Business SP1 64-bit this weekend.)
* Windows XP Professional SP2 32-bit on my work desktop.
* Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server R2 on the server here at work (Active Directory, DHCP, Exchange, etc...)
* Ubuntu 7.04 Server on the intranet server (LAMP stack)

-Richard

AmishFury
May 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
dual boot Ubuntu 8.04 and XP

currently running ubuntu

aamukahvi
May 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hardy. Intrepid (virtualized).
OpenSolaris looks nice too, we'll see how it turns out.

RazorEdge
May 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Vista Ultimate with SP1 (32-bit)
Hardy Heron 64-bit

Vista as the primary, Ubuntu as something to poke at

regomodo
May 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Gentoo with Debian Etch as a backup install. To begin with Gentoo was a pita to install but now i love it.

cardinals_fan
May 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
DragonFlyBSD and Zenwalk.

DragonFly is my main OS - it's light, configurable, stable, and has great hardware recognition.

Zenwalk is for any time I might need to use Linux.

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I like Ubuntu because it pretty much saved me from the windows world and sounds about right for me. Otherwise I like just about any kde-based distro, (except opensuse). I'll give opensuse another try when the new one is finished.

ezsit
May 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM
I'm using Kubuntu 7.10 and do not intend on upgrading until July or August, after 8.04.1 is released and it is shown to be more stable than Hardy upon initial release. I run Kubuntu on both my main machine and my backup tower, keeping them in sync and up-to-date as I switch between the two computers. I also plan on buying a laptop from Everex with gOS 2.0 (Ubuntu with a dock applet).

I started with SuSE 5.3 back in 1997(?). I switched to Ubuntu with 5.04 and have stuck with Ubuntu/Kubuntu since 2005. I've tried Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, OpenSuse, Slackware, and dozens of live CDs since 2005 but keep coming back to Kubuntu. PCLinuxOS 2007 almost had me switch, but back to Kubuntu I came.

Pethegreat
May 3rd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Look in my signature to see what I run on the computers I own. I also take care of a windows machine that my family uses. I have XP installed in virtualbox on both computers for when I need windows.

gameryoshi600
May 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Ubuntu 8.04 it's fast, secure, customizable, and just freakin' sweet overall

what I was going to say. :KS

yatt
May 3rd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Debian Sid/Experimental
Windows Vista Ultimate

Both of which are 64 bit.

amyfan
May 3rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
bump...

Fedz
May 3rd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Ubuntu 8.04 is my sole OS.

Even my m8s (some have Window$ and a few have Ubuntu) on Window$ find Ubuntu as easy and eye-catching as Window$ :)

scouser73
May 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron, my first time using open source was on Gutsy Gibbon, and that was great, but Hardy is so much better I find.

hessiess
May 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
feisty/hardy dual boot

yssida
May 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Why, Ubuntu of course! For everything. I've gone cold turkey with Windows. Now, I try to find Free alternatives, and use them as much as possible.

veganrailpunk
May 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'm using Kubuntu 7.10 on a lenovo n200 laptop. I tried 8.04 but it wouldn't recognise my wireless or sound so i came back to gutsy.

I've been using (k)ubuntu since dapper and have just finally ditched windows for good (after corrupting my vista recovery partition - oops!)

Kingsley
May 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm waiting for Fedora 9 to come. In the meantime, I'm taking Hardy 64-bit for a spin.

Crazysah
May 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I have started to use Ubuntu 8.04.

Otherwise though it is Windows Vista Ultimate.