PDA

View Full Version : What if aliens made an operating system?

PrimoTurbo
May 2nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Sometimes I try to imagine an advanced alien civilization and how their operating systems and computers would work and look. My first guess is that they would have no need for monitors or probably any external hardware, their displays would be integrated into their mind. So their brain would be able to project an image in any format, shape or size anywhere. This ability would be shared and they would be able to view things with other beings at the same time. Furthermore they might have figured out a way to share emotional states or frame of mind. A frighting concept that can have a great positive impact, imagine relationships based on that level of understanding. Perhaps they have been able to genetically modify themselves to such a degree that they are born with integrated biological computers embedded in their minds. Computers that further evolve as their technology progresses probably at an incredibly fast pace. Or maybe they reached the limit of technology, any calculation is possible including infinite ones? No limitations perhaps, sounds a little out there but according to my understanding of physics you could technically have more than one infinite.

I also wonder if they had an older human made computer, they would be able to design the most efficient operating system for it in a blink of an eye. Perhaps your Pentium1 would be able to run all the most recent games, and have much more storage with no hardware modification but some type of incredible software. One that takes everything to the limit.

Insane, I know. What are your thoughts?

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
It would be a monolithic computer that is connected to every subsystem, and it would compatible with every known devise and binary code format.

See "Independence Day"

chucky chuckaluck
May 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
their cursors would resemble metal pie plates darting across the terminal.

rudihawk
May 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
It would just "work". :P - sounds kinda like Linux...

madjr
May 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ufobuntu: lunix for alien beings :confused:

i think thats the one they use at Area 54

solitaire
May 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
The real question is..

Is their OS Open Source or not??

Intergalactic Version of Apple or Microsoft!!

AAARRGGHHHH!!!!!!

Flee!!! Run to the hills!!!!!

BLTicklemonster
May 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Obviously an alien civilization would be computers, so the question should be: what if aliens made a human?

woot woot

freebeer
May 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
if an embedded-in-the-brain OS crashes, it brings new meaning to the term BSOD. :D

spupy
May 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hm, well, these aliens better be careful! After all, everyone knows you can easily hack alien OSs with an old Mac!

*coughIndependanceDaycough*

Sporkman
May 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Their operating system would resemble some sort of configuration of a dynamical physical system.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
once they found out about Alienware they'd get pissed and disintegrate this planet.

Sporkman
May 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
once they found out about Alienware they'd get pissed and disintegrate this planet.

...or just sue.

Kokopelli
May 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Magic, any technology sufficiently advanced would be indistinguishable from magic. (And vice versa). A sufficiently advanced system would be an extension of the users will and desire, tempered by rules to limit harm.

On a different note this came to mind:
http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Sporkman
May 2nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
On a different note this came to mind:
http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Great story! =D>

Foster Grant
May 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Sit down, grasshopper, and be enlightened.

As everybody knows, Plan 9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs) is from outer space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space).

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
...or just sue.

unless aliens are in fact American, no.

smoker
May 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
What if aliens made an operating system?

We Do!

the8thstar
May 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Ufobuntu: lunix for alien beings :confused:

i think thats the one they use at Area 54

Sounds more like LUNATIX to me! :D

the8thstar
May 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
We Do!

This one looks like some sort of hydrocephalic bat. Interesting.

Whiffle
May 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Then Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith would fly up in a fixed up space ship, use a fancy antenna to deliver a virus, and then nuke them.

Obviously.