PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems installing 7.10 on a dell notebook

iprolonged
May 2nd, 2008, 05:51 PM
hi all,

i'm having some issues installing 7.10 on a notebook. i downloaded the iso and burnt to a CD, no problems there. i boot the CD, see the ubuntu splash screen, and select "install in safe graphics mode", as selecting the default option leaves me with a hung screen after i hear the music :)

i get to the livecd desktop, and select the install. i get to choose my language, and (sometimes) get to see the "where are you?" screen. i say sometimes, because this process will have taken me about 1.5 hours, and at this point either a) i give up out of sheer boredom, or b) the machine hangs, and a nasty applet error appears :(

the notebook is a dell inspiron 2200, 1.6 GHz pentium M with 248MB RAM. for what it's worth, the CD-ROM drive is a Sony DVD+-RW DW-D56A. i would imagine it's a pretty standard optical drive! i have windows xp sp2 installed, but i'd be delighted to blow it away...

any ideas why the install is taking so long? any suggestions as to how i might be able to get around this issue? i'd consider myself to be a high-level PC user, but near-zero unix experience, so i'd be reasonably confident playing around with a non-gui installation (if i HAD to :)

appreciate any and all help!

dave

Slim Odds
May 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Not sure about 7.10, but the requirements for 8.04 suggest a minimum of 384M of RAM for the desktop install.

You might want to try using the alternate, text based install

iprolonged
May 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
thanks Slim Odds, just saw this:

Low-memory systems may be able to use the desktop CD to install by adding the only-ubiquity boot option to run just the installer rather than the whole desktop.

how do i go about doing the above? thanks again.

btw, presuming i manage to get it installed, will ubuntu perform well with 248MB of RAM? it'll primarily be used for web browsing, small amount of word processing...

dave

dave

Slim Odds
May 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
thanks Slim Odds, just saw this:

how do i go about doing the above? thanks again.

btw, presuming i manage to get it installed, will ubuntu perform well with 248MB of RAM? it'll primarily be used for web browsing, small amount of word processing...

dave

dave

Not sure about the ubiquity thing. But I'm running Hardy on an old 800MHz P3 with 384M RAM and it runs well.

iprolonged
May 3rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Got it working with the alternate CD. Thanks for your help!