PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] YM or other IM installation.

fadz8L
May 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

Guess what .... i'm a new user for this new environment. Yeah .. that cool ones... ubuntu for humanity. But now I am facing a new problems that i need you to help me out. How to install the IM application such as YM, GoogleTalk, Skype or others. I try several times to install YM application but it still unsuccessful :( .

Please help me and God will love u soo much

Best Regards,
fadz8L from Malaysia

DMK62
May 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Which version of Ubuntu are you using ?

Ubuntu comes with an im client, Pidgin, that can be used for several im protocols including yahoo. If you need webcam support with your im then there is kopete and aMSN.

The last time I checked Yahoo's site for a linux version of their messenger it was really old and I would not recommend trying to install it.

If you need any assistance in setting up the im programs please post back here.

Dale

fadz8L
May 2nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Ok .. I do find Pidgin in my Add/Remove Programs. But I dont find where is the location to double click or click. Please tell me where is it .. Is it at the drop menu or somewhere hidden in the system files

Thanks,
Fadz8L

fadz8L
May 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi DALE,

Thanks for your info. I do find it ... Thanks anyway... If u or others have your YM id ... add me up .. my email is fadz8L@yahoo.com

Thanks everyone. May GOD bless us all. Amen

Fadz8L

Z47isthenew42
May 5th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Pidgin should be under Applications -> Internet. At least that was how it was for me after I installed Ubuntu.

kostkon
May 5th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Hi all,

Guess what .... i'm a new user for this new environment. Yeah .. that cool ones... ubuntu for humanity. But now I am facing a new problems that i need you to help me out. How to install the IM application such as YM, GoogleTalk, Skype or others. I try several times to install YM application but it still unsuccessful :( .

Please help me and God will love u soo much

Best Regards,
fadz8L from Malaysia
I believe Pidgin will cover most of your IM needs. If you want Skype, you can download it from it's site.

fadz8L
May 5th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks Z47isthenew42 :)

But why the pidgit can't view all my contacts. Is there any changes or configurations on it to make sure that I can view all my contacts. Your help much be appreciated :)

Best Regards,
Fadz8L

fadz8L
May 5th, 2008, 04:20 AM
thanks kostkon :)

Trollslayer
May 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Pidgin should be under Applications -> Internet. At least that was how it was for me after I installed Ubuntu.

I just installed Pidgin and it takes a long time to get the friends list from Yahoo but Messenger on windows is instant. Any ideas?