PDA

View Full Version : Great expectations...

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Recently I saw part of a program (on TV) in which a company was promoting a game-like 3D meeting software program. In this virtual world you could meet people from all over the world in the "street"....
Wouldn't that be great?...
To login to your Ubuntu, and find yourself in a 3D environment, where you cross the street and see rows of shops; Community cafe, Thai Ubuntu club, Ubuntu Rock pub, etc..etc..etc..
Just thinking about the possibility puts a smile on my face..

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
as long as people don't substitute this for their own neighborhoods, yeah, that sounds neat.

chewearn
May 2nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Come on. You guys can't be living under a rock all these time. :wink:

There is already such a place, it's called Second Life.

schauerlich
May 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
I opened this thread thinking it had to do with Dickens... Thank Dickens it didn't. I hated that book.

Anyways, what Astalavista said, it's already been done. It'd be cool though.

Kingsley
May 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
There is already such a place, it's called Second Life.
For people that don't have a first one.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Developers!!!
Get to work! (meant with the utmost respect)
I'm a satisfied person anyway, but you know the word "satisfied" is just an adjective, so there's always (3D) room for comparisons...

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Second Life

drascus
May 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I don't know it depends. Sounds like an arena where there could be lots of abuse. Such as people tracking what others do in this virtual neighborhood. I would suggest meeting your neighbors and finding places to hang out in your real neighborhood. Seems cheaper and less complicated.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
For people that don't have a first one.

lmao

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Another virtual orgy thats all me need

Lux Perpetua
May 2nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Not my cup of tea, honestly. We don't need more reasons to glue ourselves to our computers. My humble opinion is that these virtual worlds are unhealthy, and that time spent in them would be better spent as quality time with the people we care about. Just my two cents.

siebesadeq
May 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Getting your business hooked into the Second Life Grid couldn’t be easier. Just follow these four simple steps:
That's not open source.
I'm not business-minded, and I'm guessing a lot of Ubuntu users aren't either. It's a fact that people learn to develop in their early stages of life by copying behaviour, ideas, thinking patterns, etc.(correct me if you don't agree). It seems to me that copying an idea and moulding it into something new is something to be lauded, and not just to be dismissed as "just another copy", "not original".
I want to walk into an Ubuntu virtual world; not a commercial one.