PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Minimized Windows are Invisible in Bottom Panel

eeefresh
May 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I have a weird issue with the bottom panel that I can't seem to fix. It all started when I enabled some Advanced Desktop Settings in Compiz, but the problem persists even when I turn off the advanced settings.

Normally you would have icons in your bottom panel for your different desktops, minimized windows and your "show desktop" button. However, every time I reboot, the bottom panel basically loses all those icons. If I minimize a window, it doesn't show up in the panel at all...but if I click on where the minimized window should be, it opens again...so its there, I just can't see it. Same thing with my workspaces icons and my show desktop icon...all invisible in the panel, but work when I click on them.

When I go into panel settings I can change it to "solid color," and that works...until I reboot. Then its gone again. If I go in again and change it "use theme setting", it works....until I reboot. Basically I have to alternate between the two every time I reboot in order to see the icons on my bottom panel.

Any ideas?

kaunofrantas
May 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
same problem here. i do not use compiz, but when i minimize applications they can't be seen on bottom panel. it happened today - didn't have this problem before. can't see even when the panel color is changed to solid.

can anybody help?

oops: fixed by reloading - don't know what happened

cyrusrayne
May 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM
This certainly does seem bizarre. What distro are you folks using and have you logged a bug report on Launchpad yet?

kaunofrantas
May 7th, 2008, 01:01 AM
crap - it doesn't work again - when you minimize it is basically gone - i use ubuntu 8.04

cyrusrayne
May 7th, 2008, 02:39 AM
In that case, I'd say file a report on launchpad.net and see what they recommend as I haven't encountered the error myself yet. Will keep looking.

kaunofrantas
May 7th, 2008, 03:43 AM
ok, by searching forums i found this answer:

right click panel---- /add to panel/windows list

it worked for me - i was getting worried

eeefresh
May 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I am using 8.04 as well, and adding window list to panel worked!

maninsitu
November 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Yes, I had the same problem and this fixed it. So simple how did I turn it off in the first place? :lolflag:

Mitch72
November 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Compiz must interfere with it I guess... maybe it's the gtk theme?

hwttdz
March 20th, 2009, 09:14 PM
So this appears to sometimes be caused by not having the window list added to the panel.

Sometimes it's caused by having an invisible window list. As I have just had this happen to me. I was able to minimize and maximize windows by clicking on the panel (I just couldn't choose which ones I minimized or maximized because I couldn't see them). Did a bug get opened for this behavior, is there a known fix or cause?