PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few problems after upgrading to Hardy

Sabrage
May 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I upgraded to Hardy from 7.10, but after the upgrade my printer (samsung ml2010) stopped working, flashvideos in Firefox became unbelievably slow. Should I do a clean install? Is there any way to try other flash plugins (I don't even remember which plugin I chose). My printer is identified and it makes all the right sounds before it's about to print something, but it just doesn't print.

Help! :cry:

aheckler
May 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I always do a fresh install instead of trying to upgrade. IMHO, it feels "cleaner" and things generally turn out OK, but that is just my experience.

Sabrage
May 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks aheckler. I wanted to try upgrading this time and I don't really know if my problems are because I upgraded instead of installing. I'll try a clean install and see if it works better.

celdar
May 2nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
There is a HowTo in the Multimedia section of the forum with advice on how to clean up Firefox and Flash after an upgrade. I had to run through those steps on my Hardy after upgrade - apparently the upgrade does not automatically update the flash plugin, and the new version of Firefox chokes on it. Depends on how you had it installed originally, though.

Here is the link to that HowTo:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Read especially Parts 1/5 and 2/5

As far as printing, I did notice that during the upgrade, some of the printing modules were removed (not upgraded). My printing still works ok, so I assumed that was just part of the cleanup of old modules. Perhaps someone in the General Help or Desktop Environments sections will have some insight for you.

FWIW, I've upgraded every time, since my initial install of the Hoary Hedgehog (or was it Breezy? I forget). Anyway, upgrades are fine - and are really one of the great benefits of Debian - as long as you keep a clean system, and pay attention to what modules are getting upgraded. Yeah, you'll end up with some leftovers that need to be cleaned up manually from time to time. But isn't that part of the fun? :)

Sabrage
May 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks celdar, I'll check out the HowTo. Choking is excatly what happened with my flash. You could almost hear the video choking on something. Doing things manually I'm sure is a lot of fun but with Ubuntu I've become sort of spoiled because things usually works and I haven't had to learn much about the system. :)