PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Installing Ubuntu

king EZi
May 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm using a x86 system and i tried installing Ubuntu 7.10 from a live cd but it loads up and drops me to a shell, and from there i dont really know what to do. Please help.

Eirikizer
May 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I've experienced the same problems, but for me, an installation with Wubi from Windows works. I know it's not the same, but it's ok. Try an install with the alternative CD, perhaps that will help ;)

mlentink
May 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm using a x86 system and i tried installing Ubuntu 7.10 from a live cd but it loads up and drops me to a shell, and from there i dont really know what to do. Please help.

Could you specify what sort of system you're using? Like what processor, graphics card and how much memory?

Neobuntu
May 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
I can only guess that X just didn't start. The good news is, you're install is just about completed. Perhaps you have a special video card and/or monitor resolution. Try...
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg...and just try the defaults. you can also do a...
lspci...and see what video card model you have. Then Google it and how others got it going with the new release.

Also, I've seen whole systems destabilized, just for having the computers BIOS shared video settings too low.

It may seem stupid but as you find the road block, in the end, you'll probably note that it is simply strange hardware. When things don't install; trouble free, it's like a board in our eye. I understand. In comparison, it's just a spec. I've had most systems install Kubuntu far faster and with far more finish, than any other system. Great rewards, come with a little initial setup.

Please let us know how it goes.

king EZi
May 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys, i got Ubuntu 8.04 (HARDY HERON) and it worked fine, im quite happy.

Bubba64
May 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
All right one more happy user.